The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: HARVESTSMART-IS YOURS DANGEROUS?

Don
Could the hydro. be free wheeling down the hill. I have seen a JD 8820 do the same thing, so it could be in the hyro. Some time today i when at work i will look and see what i can find.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
Don't know why I didn't think of this thread before but desperate measures for desperate times.
Have an 06, 9860 with harvestsmart. When going downhill, and it doesn't have to be very steep, it will go into a virtual freewheel mode, I've seen 2.5 times normal speed, yes it will slow if you pull back on hydro handle but it will easily do what the bike guys call a brakee. Pretty safe eh? I don't know if it's fly by wire (FBW) or harvestmart related.
Deere just seems completely lost on this, many things checked and tried but nothing.
As you could appreciate this is annoying at best, very, very dangerous at worst and completely unacceptable.
Any feedback?
Thank you

Don

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts

Motorcycle legend Evel Knievel dies at 69

Updated Fri. Nov. 30 2007 4:39 PM ET

The Associated Press

CLEARWATER, Florida -- Evel Knievel, the hard-living motorcycle daredevil whose exploits made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69.

Dam

Now who am I gonna get to drive my Harvestsmart 9860?

Don

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It's great you have time on your hands so we can hear from you.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts

Quote:It's great you have time on your hands so we can hear from you.
Thank you Tom. It's not my intention to monopolize this forum, it's just that I find it so interesting and educational. One always hopes he gives more than he receives! Quite a challenge here.

Don

·
Registered
886 Posts

What is Harvestsmart exactly? The CTS II I use has Harvest Track But I don't know what that is either.

Can somone explain what they both are?

·
Registered
23 Posts

the begining of the end of a lot of farm hands jobs.as they get closer to havin it were u don't have to be in the operator seat. HarvestSmart automatic feedrate system increases the combine's productivity while reducing operator fatigue and is recommended for customers who wish to increase their harvesting efficiency.

·
Registered
23 Posts

HARVESTSMART system varies the ground speed to maintain a constant flow of material through the machine, maximizing productivity and reducing operator stress. As the crop material gets lighter, machine ground speed will increase and as crop material gets heavier machine ground speed will decrease. Operator can limit maximum ground speed at all times by pulling back on multifunction control handle. HARVESTSMART system will begin to slow the machine ground speed when the engine rpm drops below 2170 rpm. This will help prevent the engine from pulling down and from stalling.

HARVESTSMART system may not perform optimally if used in the following conditions:

Extreme Hilly Conditions
Tangled or Lodged Crop Conditions
Extremely Muddy Conditions

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

In this area there is no HarvestSmart as I know of, wish there was more power fold unloading augers so they fit in the shop better.

·
Registered
886 Posts

But How come on the Harvest track's Dial/indicator there is a - at one end and a + at the other??

I thought it was somthing to do with holding rows..

·
Registered
55 Posts

Isn't harvest trak the grain loss system in the older models? Which is now vision trak in the 60 series? The dial with the + & - would be for sensitivity?

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts

godeere2006
Don't get in a panic about job loss just yet! Long ways from that in harvest operations.
Does any one here use harvestsmart? There's more around then chicken's teeth (barely, but still more than power fold auger).
Anyone?

Don

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

Okay, you mentioned those two names. Yes, I'm familiar with them both, and also AutoTrack. I just don't always remember which did what or to the exact degree, either, but still I do know Harvest Smart is not to do with guidance, but with the internal crop flow monitoring.
AutoTrack is what I posted the video of, a few months ago [self-steering combine]. Good system, yes, but no combine should be run completely hands-free. We are still a way off from perfecting a completely autonomous combine. However, that day WILL come just as these "driverless" or rather semi-driverless combines are paving the way.

·
Registered
321 Posts

I thought HARVEST TRACK was the grain loss monitoring system, or is it HARVESTRAK?

jd

P.S. My opinion of Harvestsmart =

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

Quote:autotrack is supposed to work in conjunction with harvestsmart. ive used both and i only liked the autotrack but that only works if all other machines have it too, the harvestsmart system tends to run away like everyone else has stated.

Are you sure it was Harvest Smart? I was told even by some Dealers, as well as others on this forum, that HS was only sold to the European market.
It does not "run away." It is the crop throughput monitoring system. I was also told it needs a lot of work yet, to become perfected. Claas' CEBIS was actually doing much of this very thing, 10 years ago, so may have more accuracy by now, too.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

Interesting. I had seen the European commercial for all of this, but did not know the HS and AT were directly linked to each other, as opposed to simply working together, as separate systems. I was also under the impression the HS was more for feedrate/cropload control, separator components/settings and of course any grain loss rather than anthing to do with the combine's forward ground speed.
I am glad to hear it is now here in the US, but will need way more testing and perfecting before it is truly market-ready, and Deere also needs to stay on top of this and not give us a premature product.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts