The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

We have a customer looking for a small, easily moveable combine. They grow canola seed and windrow it for harvest.

They expressed interest in a K or F series Gleaner.

Which one would be best for canola?

I personally think that a Straight F with the diesel would be the best choice, as the cylinder and throat are much bigger, and the 301 NA would have a bunch of "grunt" to power through slugs, and the twin fans would offer excellent adjustability for precise cleaning. Finding a rare hydrostat machine would be even better.

Is that logic flawed? does a guy need the long shoe and walkers of the 78 or newer 2 series? if a guy does go with a 78+, do you need a small seed kit for the fan?

If the customer is really hung up on the ultra narrow width, will a K or K2 handle swathed canola?

Any input appreciated,
Thanks!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey All,

We have a customer looking for a small, easily moveable combine. They grow canola seed and windrow it for harvest.

They expressed interest in a K or F series Gleaner.

Which one would be best for canola?

I personally think that a Straight F with the diesel would be the best choice, as the cylinder and throat are much bigger, and the 301 NA would have a bunch of "grunt" to power through slugs, and the twin fans would offer excellent adjustability for precise cleaning. Finding a rare hydrostat machine would be even better.

Is that logic flawed? does a guy need the long shoe and walkers of the 78 or newer 2 series? if a guy does go with a 78+, do you need a small seed kit for the fan?

If the customer is really hung up on the ultra narrow width, will a K or K2 handle swathed canola?

Any input appreciated,
Thanks!
I had an old G years back and it handled canola fine, even better after I rigged up a reverser for the header. Back then we had a 15 foot swather.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The K is a pretty small machine so you would want a pretty small swath, I'm thinking maybe 10 ft but it depends on how heavy a crop and the ability of the swather operator. As far as cleaning the K should do a good job, same design as the G which we used for many years with good results.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The big holdup with the customer is trailering, they would prefer as narrow as possible, I imagine a tandem dually goose behind a diesel pickup, hence why they expressed interest in a K.
They raise a bunch of seed, so essntially they are looking for "plot" combines. They want to have a Fleet that is the same brand so parts stock is easy, and they want to have several combines so they dont have to clean out nearly as often.

We have to go as small as possible, so I think a F is the biggest/ widest we can go. I am aware the processor and seperator is basically the same between all of the old closed concave twin fan Gleaner conventionals, width being the only major difference.

Basically i am just wondering how small of Gleaner a guy can use in Canola and still do a good job.

We can talk to them and ask, but i am fairly certain it is a 15 foot windrow.

They are doing it now with a 615 and 715 IH, so I cant imagine the Gleaner couldnt do better.

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.