·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Has anyone seen anyhting like this??

·
Registered
376 Posts
Re: Has anyone seen anyhting like this??

There used to be some California rice combines that had complete undercarriages running the length of the combine. These were built by Hahn or other combine makers in N California. The whole combine was built there and are not the same as other commonly used combines in the US. Some of the Hahn combines had 2 GM engines- one for the separator and one for the tracks. The cylinder was spike tooth and about 3 ft in diameter I think. Machine was about 60 inches wide I think. Can't remember for sure. You used to see them sitting in rice country in N. California. They used to use draper headers too. My understanding is that draper fed headers and complete tracks are more important in California due to the conditions and soils as well as short season. They were giants of their day. We're talking combines that were built from the 50's or so into the 70's. I had a pic on farm photo, but can't retrieve it. I suspect that the undercarriages could be either salvaged or copied from such combines. The Hahn used a D6 undercarriage I think, but it had a raised idler on top rather than a more flat top track like on a farm crawler. I think they maybe had wide grouser (cletes) Were not good on dry ground as they would vibrate badly so mostly used for rice.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Northern Minnesota is famous for their wild rice. There are many International/Case IH combines up there setup with full and half tracks, ranging from 915's up to 2388's. Also a few Massey's.

JHarvest

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So, Jharvest, rice just grows wildly up in minnesota? Or does a farmer have to plant the seeds?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:How do those full length track combines steer?

They are steered like a cat is, slowing up and speeding up each track. The conversion includes a second hydrostatic pump and motor so each track has independent drive systems. They remove the steering wheel and put two small levers in place of the wheel and each lever controls a single track.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:So, Jharvest, rice just grows wildly up in minnesota? Or does a farmer have to plant the seeds?

First of all I want to say I am not wild rice expert and have never had any hands on experience with this crop before so all this information is what I have heard from the locals as we have combined small grain in the area for many years in the high ground.

Here is what I have heard, please correct me if you know differently "anyone". Wild rice is planted about every three years, mostly by plane or floater. The rice will sustain a decent yield for 3 years without reseeding mainy due to the amount it shells out prior to harvest as the rice is very susceptible to shattering in the wind or at the header (hence the large reels). This is the neatest part, prior to seeding the rice the seed is put in tote bags and lowered into a drainage ditch or pond where it is left to sprout in the bag upon which time they remove it and spread it on the field.

I remember one year the rice farmers were just starting to harvest and there was a 15-20 mph wind the one night. The next morning the one farmer said he figured he had lost $10,000 that night due to the wind shattering it.

Once again please add or correct as needed.

JHarvest

·
Registered
504 Posts
Rice does shatter real bad and its easily blown down too. Thats where the farmer loses the most money. Cutting a down crop will make us lose 10-25% of the yeild due to the extra straw run through the combine and also from water and wind damage if its down for a while.

I'd imagine wild rice is pretty similar to regular long and medium grain rice like we raise here in Arkansas. Most of the water seeding that I know of is done down in Louisana. Its been tried here too though.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Russel, my grandpa had a 410 Massey that he put tracks on back in the 70's. They were just half tracks though but he said it would walk through just about anything, being so light a combine. But after it dried up they took them back off. He said it about shook the whole combine apart!

I guess they just don't have a hardpan like we do here in AR to have to use full tracks. I wouldn't mind gettting to run that CTS for a day or 2 though. Looks fun. No reel to wrap up either. Probably not too good in down stuff though. lol

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yeah its me
I've been found out!

I use this handle on the combine boards and thats about it. Been Riceman for 8 or 10 years now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts