The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Anyone got a location in google earth? I'm curious to see what that road looks like. The comments say it is a blind corner, and thus not the car driver's fault. I can't really understand that, as you are never supposed to drive faster than you can see. Had it been a police car there blocking the road, that driver would have hit the police car.

Unfortunate. Makes me wonder if there is any way to prevent stuff like this, short of closing down the road? More flashy lights on the combine?

-Lance

·
Registered
660 Posts
This is a horrible incident, but unfortunately there will always be more. It's upsetting that the poor guy might die, BUT even more upsetting if you read the comments about people blaming the farmer. This is what happens if you live in the country!! Farmers transport their equipment via roadway, it just doesn't make sense to put the combine on a semi and haul it 1/2 a mile down the road!

·
Registered
560 Posts
as near as I can tell, this link shows the bridge

http://tiny.cc/djdjt

Certainly doesn't look like a blind corner. If you watch the video posted on that newspaper site, you can clearly see skidmarks where it looks like the driver of the car came all the way out of their lane and into the path of the combine. Why, we may never know.

·
Registered
380 Posts
years ago around here a fella was only on the 2 lane highway (55mph) for a quarter to a half mile or so to get to a field that could only be accessed from the pavement he was in a big 4wd tractor with a field cultivator. It was sunday morning at 9-10 in the spring. a motorcycle gang came flying up on him at the speed of sound. he had been turning around and checking behind him the whole time and hadn't seen anything. he had his signal on to turn across the oncoming lane into the field. when the lead dip$!t (you know the biker who always rides the center and thinks they are badder than satan) just flew up on him and decided to pass... too bad the tractor was making a turn and well you can imagine what the cultivator did to the man and the woman on the harley. poice said by the skidmarks they were definently speeding like crazy but the gang was tight lipped and lied. the guy might have lived but she was dead on contact. NO HELMETS. the farmer was sick to his stomach and took a year or two to get over the whole thing. what sucks is the biker didn't even have a motorcycle endorsement on his liscense. yet somehow managed to sue the farmer (insurance). what's worse is the gang who wasn't stupid enough to follow the pass got all butt hurt and made threats to the farmer who never did nothing wrong. they lied and said he didn't have any blinkers on. Yet everybody locally knows the guy is always blinking the hazards everytime his tractor hits anything but dirt. whats totally retarded on the bikers part is this highway we are talking bout is one of the most dangerous in the state if not the entire midwest were talking no shoulders and 10-20 foot cliffs for ditches. I think pedestrians are used to seeing blinking lights on tractors and bines and don't pay any attention to see if it is a turn signal or not. the first I ever learned in drivers ed was the rate of closure on smv's. Nothing more ever really came of it. We offered to let em go work some of our ground later that day and I would have went and finished that one for him with a high powered mag in the buddy seat. what sucks the worst is the bikers are all long gone and they hung reefs at the site that probably turn the farmers stomach over everytime he turns in or drives by the field. it was total bs as far as I'm concerned I don't feel sorry for anybody who is that stupid. Those who live by the sword die by the sword

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did some research on the accident site on GoogleEarth. Looks like the car driver would have been unable to see the combine on the bridge from 300 ft away. If the car was going 60 mph and the combine 20 mph, that would make the point of impact at about 75 ft from the bridge, almost exactly where the combine is in the video. Time from first sighting to impact, about 3 seconds. Unfortunate thing is if you look closely at the picture where you can see the skid marks, there would have been room for the car to pass if he would not have locked up the brakes. Still a tragedy any way you look at it.

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
Indeed.
Could be one of those rare times when visiblity at night would have helped.
Maybe it's just me but the title doesn't fit the story here.
When I hear or use that phrase I'm expecting something funny.
No offense jhh but obviously this isn't funny.

Don

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
sorry to hear that coleslaw...ive had a few close calls and people are just idiots when it comes to driveing...

Everyone's so used to getting things right away..cell and interenet and i wonder if that makes alot of people drive faster and act like there in a hurry....

why can't a guy wait 3 min till this semi thats in the other lane go buy then just pass me in the combine..shrugs...

im sure he's really got to be somewhere NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i understand people have always drove fast but these kids are ridiculous

im on a one lane road basically green steiger and she pulls into the road??? on her cell or texting couldn't tell....
then she went nuts.... all i needed to do was turn left and she could have went

she backs out and doesn't see a semi's comeing.... she finally did...

its always the farmers fault....relating to the first story.

more blinking lights....hell if he would have had flood lights all over the d**n thing and rotating beacons it would have still happen....

in most case's...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Something that happened not far from me.

Teen killed, another seriously injured in crash with combine
By ROBERT A. CRONKLETON
The Kansas City Star

A 14-year-old Franklin County boy died when the pickup truck he was riding in crashed into a combine in Franklin County.

Trevor Wormel of Williamsburg was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash. He was a passenger in a 1993 Ford Ranger pickup driven by Preston Bunyard, 17, of rural Williamsburg, according to a release from the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office.

Bunyard also was injured in the crash and was flown to a Kansas City hospital in serious condition, according to the release.

The crash occurred about 5:10 p.m. Wednesday about one mile south of Pomona, Kan., on Colorado Road.

The two teens were going around a curve as they headed south on Colorado Road when they came across a combine that was headed north on Colorado Road.

As Bunyard moved over the west edge of the roadway to make room for the combine, the right tires of the pickup went off the roadway’s paved surface. As he passed the combine, he tried to bring the pickup back onto the roadway and crashed into a second combine also headed north, according to the release.

Emergency crews from the Pomona Township Fire Department and the Franklin County Ambulance Service had to extricate both Bunyard and Wormel, who were trapped in the wreckage.

Bunyard and Wormel were students at West Franklin High School in Pomona, Kan., and the school was making arrangements to help students deal the death of their fellow classmate.

The Franklin county Sheriff’s Office critical accident investigation unit continues to investigate the crash.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yea I just heard about that last accident mentioned I know the farmer/seed dealer all too well. People usually don't live to tell about it when they play chicken with farm equip. This accident took place in the same county about 20 min south of the previous accident I mentioned above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts