The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
ive got an 2011 sts 12. I like the machine. its the second hagie I bought new. I average between 23 and 25K ac a year. I haul it. its my second hagie after 2 JDs. it gets around a lot better than the deeres do. I use 650 floats in the spring for all pre's and some post emergence work. the raven auto steer is horrible to say the least. trying to figure out how to make my jd 2630 work in it. then id have something. hagies are not crap! like I said this is my second one and almost traded for a new 2014 but there are some things I don't like about the new ones so its going to be between a new deere 4038 a comparable case and the hagie sts 12.
likes: easy to fix, everything is pretty simple to work on. parts are available anywhere just about, to get you going. the parts guys from the factory are on the ball. no issues there. machine is light and with the 650s on its unstoppable. front boom is nice. machine is light weight but not lightly built. I have 100ft booms. 15" nozzle spacing is nice for side dressing 30" rows ( I just use drop hoses) hard to get a skip with 15" spacing.
dislikes : raven product control and autosteer. since day 1 my autosteer has never worked even close to satisfactory. some of the paint is not applied very well. greasing the wheel legs is horrible. one of my biggest complaint actually. I grease religiously and still get dry spots on leg shafts. wheel tracks can be a challenge at times when it gets real dusty. how they mount everything to the seat. eventually the the right side starts to sag and you lean all the time. narrow door opening. AC leave something to be desired.
hagie is easier to haul then a deere cause its lighter and to go to a similar capacity deere youll have to to get a triple axle trailer. might be back on the trailer end of this week so if you want pictures I could probly get some.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks lucky. I have heard the auto steer is hard to get set, the best results i have been told is to go with rtk even going with omni star helps. Don't think you will like the 4038 simply for weight reasons. I have a friend who said it weighs more than a 4930. Scaled both with full fuel. I'm really interested in a sts16 if the literature is right that I have read it dosnt weigh much more than a sts12. Although at 5 gallon i might not beable to sit in the cab long enough to get empty. If you could get pics it would be nice. not a big deal if you dont wont be till this winter before we make a decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't seen the weights of the 4038. it would be tough to go down to a 1000 gal tank from a 1200. I should not have to buy rtk to get it to hold a line. my john deeres don't need rtk to follow strip till when I plant corn. im not trying to spray second pass corn with auto steer, just use it for wheat and 15" beans. its a pain in the ... .
as far as the sts 16. I don't know what your ground conditions are or where your at but my brother in law runs 2 sts 12s. he had a 16 but couldn't keep it above ground. the machine is very heavy. a wet year and and anything under 20.8s and your leaving some hellish tracks or stuck. it could cover major acres when running but if your stuck waiting for a tug there goes your acre average for the day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know having to add rtk is a pain. My understanding its the boom sway that gets you it effects the the steering more because its swaying on the steer end in stead off fifteen feet behind the steers. Dont know what all you have on the raven and I dont want to sound like a ass or anything I have had my share of problem with the smartrax so maybe i can help a little. Here somethings that helped with other machines. I have run. Have the antenna over the steer axle. Have the raven tilt compensator and not the one built into the light bar. Im sure you already have a yaw sensor but if you dont, get one and get rid of the steering position sensor. i know you have probably already done this but try and calibrate it with the skinnies on with the booms out. Then the rest of what i know I have to been in front of a smartrax unit to explain. I have set up several machines installing everything myself and got them all to work, even two articulating tractors although the front boom would be new to me. Ill see if i can get hold of a budy of mine whose company runs one and see how they fixed it. he dosnt drive it so may not know. Thanks for the heads up on the weight, like I said on paper it looks good. Mostly we are dry here and fairly flat but like a year like this year I,m glad that I run a aerial application buisness cause its wet. got most of our wheat sprayed by plane and thinking about the stubble too. Dad 4830 is like a anchor

·
Registered
15 Posts
I built a bracket to get my antenna to the front of the cab ahead of the steering axle. that helped a bit. had a hagie tech out and we spent all day going through stuff. he was very good. replaced the yaw sensor with the steering sensor and that helped a bit. the yaw sensor we found out later was installed wrong. I calibrate with both my skinny and fat tires and theres a little difference. always do it with the boom out. most of the trouble is with the front mount booms but like I said my bro in law has 2 with 120s with ag leader and they work flawlessly. id switch to agleader if it weren't for the 23K id have cough up. frustrated would be an understatement.
as far as weight, one thing about the deere is yes they have a fat ass but if you throw a size smaller tire on for a dual in the rear they get around pretty good and you can still do 30" corn. the size smaller tire only touches the ground when it is needed. 75% of the guys in my area that run deere have done this and gone away from the floatation tires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just talked to by bud and he said they have a ag leader unit in theirs also but they had big problems when they started it took a while to get it working. I think that was on 2013 sts12. gps is awesome except when it dont work. Hope you get things figured out. If i can think of anything else or hear of anything that will help Will let you know. More than likely its something simple that nobody will think of until you change over to something else. done that a couple of times myself

·
Registered
15 Posts
Those deserve some looking at too. Most local co-ops around traded what deeres or ag chems they had for case machines. Good ride, aim is nice when it works. Here gripes about the pro 700 and service is lackluster on a good day.
Nitro is very similar to hagie in most regards I feel. It is a bit heavier I think. My local miller dealet is a big corporate farm. I'll b damned if I give them money to buy land around me or raise my rents

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just educating myself on some of the equipment I dont know about. Ran a 3320 for 3 years loved it after i got all the things fixed the guy before me destroyed. Millers look good and I was thinking about the hagie mainly because the 1600 gallon machines was supposed to be about as lite as the 3320s are and miller 1600g machine is a lot heavier. What ever machine it will be will probably be a 1000 gallon rig just for weight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts