The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing to make a change this year for hauling fuel. We typically have a 600l and a 400l tidy tank in the back of a pickup and run back and forth to the yard. Seems a person stays busy for a couple hours in the morning just pumping fuel. This spring we expanded a bit and will be running another tractor so it's only going to be worse.

What are guys doing? What works? What don't? Considering a 1000gal transportable tank on a car hauler type trailer or even an enclosed trailer. Looking at the meridian fuel trailers but pricy. Old fuel truck? Thought of upgrading the service truck from 1 ton to something bigger so could hold bigger tank but not sure if that's the way I want to go

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I bought a 400 gal tank and put it in a stock trailer I refurbished. Buy the good 20gal per minute pump. Use the large high flow fuel filters. I get my bulk supplier to fill it. Some guys have round 500 gal road vault tanks on trailers. I still have 150 tank I can install on my deck truck if necessary.

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
I've used the tank on a trailer thing and it works okay, but something to be aware of is over a certain amount of fuel you need a hazardous materials ticket. I put up storage in the yards and limit myself to a slip tank now.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We bought a new nurse wagon trailer and mounted a used 500 gal tank on it and then wired the battery on the trailer to the 12v aux on the truck plug and put a small square truck toolbox on the back for extra filters and what not and probably going to add a small def tank to the front this year

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
We bought one of the meridian fuel trailers, they had a fire sale on old stock last year. Talked to the reps and they said the old stock is much heavier built than the new stock. Probably why they weren't selling many, due to the large price tag. They had the fire sale last spring and it was a savings of around 12K. Anyway it holds 800gal of diesel and about 80gal of def...another reason we bought it. The fuel pump off the gas engine really pumps fuel fast, not sure what it's rated at exactly but I thought he said 40 gal per min. Has the air compressor in the back which is quite handy....can't complain...good trailer...

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
We’re way past the 12V pumps. Have the meridian 1000 gal and it’s decent speed. We put a 500gal tank with a 5hp gas powered 2” pump with a 1-1/4 hose and 1-1/4 auto nozzle like the fuel delivery trucks and that’s the ticket!

·
Registered
974 Posts
We’re way past the 12V pumps. Have the meridian 1000 gal and it’s decent speed. We put a 500gal tank with a 5hp gas powered 2” pump with a 1-1/4 hose and 1-1/4 auto nozzle like the fuel delivery trucks and that’s the ticket!
Where did you get the 1 1/4 auto nozzle and how much?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a 750 gal rectangular tank with baffles made for around 2500, then put it in an enclosed trailer. I use generator combo with a welder and air compressor to power it. also have a 100ft air reel, tool box, and lots of room for spare parts, even a tote of def. I had under 7500 invested and its all inside and lockable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bought (2) Lamar 990gal diesel & 100gal def trailers. Baffles, low profile, sight gauge, pull easy, and less than $8k. Puisi def pump & 12v fuel pump have trickle charger with 110v plug and solar panel. Also, has a Honda gas powered fuel pump with 1.25” hose. Great trailers & cheap for what you get!

·
Registered
469 Posts
X2 on the 2” gas powered pumps. Your bulk dealer should be able to hook you up with some quality 1 1/4” hose and the fuel nozzle. We got ours from the local co-op, same stuff they use on the delivery trucks. Not cheap but it’s well made and seems to last.

1000 gallon tank from Kyle welding with a baffle in it. Bolted to a car hauler, hose reel and pump on the back and a tote of DEF on the front. Makes for a good load on a 3/4 ton when the tote is full but it works.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We've been using the THUNDER CREEK fuel trailers for several years......one is a 750 gal diesel with enclosed DEF tank and pump. 2nd trailer is approx. 990 gal diesel with 80 gal DEF..... everything enclosed with lockable doors and storage for hyd oil , motor oil, funnels etc. newest trailer has interior lights, hyd /electric jack, and small solar panel to help charge battery....large tires with mounted spare .

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
You can get 1-1/4 or 1-1/2, the hose is all 1-1/2 I believe and depends on if you get 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 ends crimped on. You can get swivels that convert between to two sizes.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Yeah ours is the 1-1/2. I think I called it 1-1/4 is the nozzle necks down.

It’ll practically blow its self out of the fill hole if you rev the pump right up!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I’ll have to look at what’s on the end of the meridian reel. It must be 1-1/4. It’s bigger than the slip tank pumps but it sure isn’t the 1-1/2 that we rigged on the other trailer.

·
Super Moderator
3,199 Posts
I just wish ground filling was doable, using 1 liter of oil in 400 hours and never having to clean anything means I see no need to drag this overweight 65 year old body up any unnecessary steps pulling a klutzy, heavy fuel nozzle and hose.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just wish ground filling was doable, using 1 liter of oil in 400 hours and never having to clean anything means I see no need to drag this overweight 65 year old body up any unnecessary steps pulling a klutzy, heavy fuel nozzle and hose.
Don, google cat fast fuel fill. It’s a ground level filling system.

We have a rope mounted on both combines that we use to pull the fuel hose up. Much safer

·
Registered
869 Posts
I’m using 2 1000 L totes on the back of a car hauler trailer with a 2” Honda pump and 1-1/2 hose.
The whole setup including trailer was 3500. The car hauler tandem trailer was $2700. I use cam locks to connect the totes to the pump so it can be taken off the trailer in less than 5 minutes. Not the best HD setup but for the price it’s working great for us. 1000 liter totes carry all kinds of chemicals and work fine for transport of diesel. Plus I use the trailer for other stuff between seeding and harvest.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts