The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flagship rotor wear plates seem to me to be on the wrong side of the front of the rotor.
Once material is initially turned from horizontal to a circular motion, all forces are on the back side of the rotor (looking from the front) & there is significant wear on the mounting lug & wear plate mounting nut “protection” area. Yellow in the picture.
Has anyone hard faced all this area …… red & yellow ….. as highlighted ?

And yes, the OEM hard facing on the rotor wear plate is short & creates a “hook” which drags material around the front of the rotor instead of transitioning smoothly. You’d reckon someone in engineering & quality control would notice this & have it fixed at the source of the problem!
Helmet Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
316 Posts
We typically build the area up around the nut with normal wire then hard surface the leading edges and all around the nut not so much the face that’s in the red. That one is wore worse then 90% of the ones we see up here before we repair them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow!
Have the feeder house off my 7230 at the moment so had a quick look.
It has an area (yellow area) built up past the height of the nut to provide protection. It’s not hard faced but it’s still there (with signs of wear).
The layout of this area baffles me every time I change wear plates.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow!
Have the feeder house off my 7230 at the moment so had a quick look.
It has an area (yellow area) built up past the height of the nut to provide protection. It’s not hard faced but it’s still there (with signs of wear).
The layout of this area baffles me every time I change wear plates.
Baffling ..... yep ..... that's one way to describe this!

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Further to the above ……..
The hard facing on the OEM wear plates has not gone far enough along the leading edge or the trailing edge. And as a consequence, it wears faster than the hard faced …….. making a “hook” !!
You all know what this means !
Wood Sculpture Tints and shades Art Auto part

Wood Tints and shades Asphalt Landscape Pattern

The large impeller blades have the same issue with hardfacing being short of required …….. Yep another larger “hook” develops.
I‘d suggest people have a real good look here & fix the issue before it creates lots of more expensive issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts