The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone thought of or tried having their office/storage above the shop area? To me this doesn't seem like a bad idea, provided that you seal it good enough to keep the exhaust/smell out.(I'm thinking of having the entire area enclosed, from end to end, where the roof meets the walls)

Also does anyone have a dedicated storage room? Thoughts on that?

(Going back 3ish years and the search didn't turn up anything of much interest)

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
If you do something like that you likely should have an engineered design. A friend of mine did that in his recreational equipment dealership by himself. I believe it was workplace health and safety that forced him to demolish and remove it a few months later because it was under designed.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
What are you intending on storing/how youre using the space will dictate structural requirements.

I know guys that have done this in ag and I do this for commercial builds in other industries.

Personally I am a fan of pallet racking for heavy items in tubs or on pallets. Vertical storage is the cheapest storage, as the saying goes.

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
We have a side storage room/coffee room in a lean to on the side, just insulate and vapour barrier the walls like normal and insulated exterior type walk in door. No fumes or anything to worry about. I personally like my office in my house but thats just preference.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
X2. Just don’t make sense to me to waste the main building height that way.

I was in my uncles shop just like that and all I could think was it sure would be a nice building if they would have put the office/storage/accommodations in a lean too beside it! Plus ten million times up stairs and down!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I have a second floor over a portion of the shop. Was engineered for 40lbs/sq ft. About 25ft wide. Wasn't much to get the engineer to finalize and stamp it, maybe $800. It is easy to figure out dimensions and spacing of floor joists, just didn't know what size of posts and I beams were needed to support it all.

It all depends how you plan to utilize the space within the four walls of a building. For me, I knew I wanted storage space and I also planned to have an area that would never see anything bigger than cars, snowmobiles, yard equipment, etc. If you already have a building for the smaller stuff then you are taking away space. For me, I put everything in the same building and have lots of storage space above.
Right now my shop doubles as a storage shed so I have equipment in there all year that really needs to be in its own storage building. Once I get that done I will have lots of room to use the shop for how I meant for it to be used.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
We have a 100x50 shop. In one corner have a 15x25 parts room with lunch and bathroom above. Bathroom upstairs sucks. Actually both up there suck. The lower parts room is split in 2, parts in one side, compressor, sink for hand washing, and some specialized tools in the other side.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
X2. Just don’t make sense to me to waste the main building height that way.

I was in my uncles shop just like that and all I could think was it sure would be a nice building if they would have put the office/storage/accommodations in a lean too beside it! Plus ten million times up stairs and down!
Maybe I'm understanding it wrong, but I'm looking at if it's above the door height it's not exactly wasted space, as how do you use it if you can't fit it in the door?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Maybe I'm understanding it wrong, but I'm looking at if it's above the door height it's not exactly wasted space, as how do you use it if you can't fit it in the door?
Are you thinking a room in the rafters? I’ve heard of guys doing that but never seen it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I put an office, spare room and parts storage on a second level. Second level sits above the workbench, utility room, bathroom and lunch room area. It did not wast any overhead space on my case, actually made more space in my shop.

I however have not moved into the office, still in a room in my house dedicated for an office.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Stairs get old real quick. It won’t be long and someone will move the coffee pot to the main level. Keep office in the house. That’s my experience/opinion.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Stairs get old real quick. It won’t be long and someone will move the coffee pot to the main level. Keep office in the house. That’s my experience/opinion.
I definitely agree with this and employees dont need access to the office unless I'm in it way to much personal stuff is in there but I'm just building a toy shop so a man cave is my personal plan TVs couches humidor and so on over looking the shop

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I definitely agree with this and employees dont need access to the office unless I'm in it way to much personal stuff is in there but I'm just building a toy shop so a man cave is my personal plan TVs couches humidor and so on over looking the shop
What size of toy shop ? And what kind of toys do you have down there ?

·
Registered
569 Posts
What size of toy shop ? And what kind of toys do you have down there ?
Probably 100x70 with a 30 foot pole front to park and wash stuff so the whole building will be 100x100 and make it all with ac and mostly mini mods tractors a offshore boat a air boat somewhere to park my tractor trailer that we used for pulling and some odd and end things

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oooof. Ok that’s not what I thought you meant. You really like stairs!
I am getting ready to build a new shop this year and I am going to add one up in the rafters like this one under a pole front to just have a man cave
That's my idea, but continue the room all the way across

My stairs issue has solved it self today: I had bought one of those electric scissor lifts and it decided that it doesn't want 2 of it's 4wheels.(at least I wasn't up very high)
Parts/cost of fixing: about 4x what I paid for it(showed up late to the auction and wondered why no one was bidding on it.) And it isn't as handy as I thought it would be so it can be an elevator or scrap.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts