The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. I am looking at adding a hay preservative kit on my 8465 case bailer. with the change in climate it seems harder to put up dry hay. is there much benefit to using the preservative? is it snake oil? and what type of system should I install. I only put up 2000 bales of hay and straw a year so I don't want to go to anything too expensive. thanks

·
Registered
683 Posts
We built our own system out of a 60gal ATV sprayer a homebuilt remote switch and two spray nozzles. We put it on our Hesston 4755 3x3x8 baler. I downloaded the instructions for the Harvesttec system and used them to build and calibrate ours. I bought our liquid preservative at our local Case dealer. I used it this year and it worked great. Total investment was about $500 (for the sprayer and parts).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is it snake oil. NO. Do they work 100% of the time on 100% of the hay. NO. But it sure does help. I use granular product from Gem silage. Cost about a $1 or so a bale. Many times it has allowed me to get things done before the next rain. Can take the hay a little tough. NOT WET. Which means I can start earlier and go a bit later. If I can start baling an hour earlier than all the neighbors sometimes that can mean the difference between getting the field done and having it rained on.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
We built our own system out of a 60gal ATV sprayer a homebuilt remote switch and two spray nozzles. We put it on our Hesston 4755 3x3x8 baler. I downloaded the instructions for the Harvesttec system and used them to build and calibrate ours. I bought our liquid preservative at our local Case dealer. I used it this year and it worked great. Total investment was about $500 (for the sprayer and parts).
Are you using propionic acid?

·
Registered
206 Posts
We run dorhmann granular boxes with the fan on them on our 2190's, the worry of the product being blown away by the wind caused by the baler, never seen it happen. We use pioneer 1155 or 1177 depending on conditions.

·
Registered
221 Posts
with the granular product do you find that it can be blown away with the wind before it enters the bailer. I read that on a post on another forum
I have a gandy applicator and the product is dropped just behind the pick up. It can blow around a bit but if it that windy to not get any on the swaths are going to be blowing across the field as will. But this is with the gem dust. Other products might blow more I don't know have not used them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Juice (acid) I use the last few years is not corrosive.

The Silo-Guard I used prior to that caused surface rust everywhere.

Liquid works regardless of moisture, and can "stick" the leaves on, whereas if the hay has dry spots and you put granular on, you'll probably find the granules still intact when you feed the hay out months later, yet a few inches away could be wet and molded.

jmo.

·
Registered
370 Posts
the best preservative i ever used was NH3 , anhydrous ammonia. i installed a 250 gallon tank on the hesston 4800 baler above the bale chamber and used a continental flow control to meter it through a line that was orificed down just before the spray bar i made. as the crop ran over the pickup and was in the stuffer chamber the nh3 was sprayed up into the crop. the recommended rate was approx 1.5-2 % by weight dry matter. that meant for a 2200 lb bale around 18 lb of nh3 product was used. the benefit was incredible, it preserved the crop, allowed higher moisture baling, increased the protein value, palatability was enhanced, vermin repelled, and spoilage virually eliminated.. i also injected some round and square bales with a probe i made after they were baled and on the ground, it worked ok but was not quite as effective.. you could install different tanks elsewhere depending on your application and room. the spray bar i made was from a steel brake line with a removeable fitting on the end for cleaning, and had 5 holes drilled in it spaced to cover the area and was clamped to the bottom of the chute with weld on tabs, if i remember the holes were about 7/64 inch, and the orifice at the inlet to the steel tube was 7/32. the idea of the orifice was to create backpressure and maintain liquid delivery to the spray bar as well as provide more accurate metering. it works, the cattle loved the feed better than any other available, and the results were superb. when baling green feed barley crop at 35% moisture it literally made silage in the bale. even the young calves loved it, kinda like a mollasses flavor/ or like a plug of old style tobacco. sweet and savory, with all kinds of benefits for your operation...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.