The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have information on the Comer cornhead with the lawnmower blade chopper? Unit is on display at the Iowa show and painted red.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Dealer said it was on the way. Apparently CNH owns or is partner with comer on the header through Fiat connections and has been around for ten plus years in Europe. Looks like 6 or 8 rows only have heard nothing on a 12 row. Got any pictures of the header?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Need to make a correction. I see from the Case-IH website that there is a 12 row chopping version but it is not folding like the other brands.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The head is from a Ploch Poland. It is a head that Case already has access too, they are just trying to organize the logistics for getting it from Poland to the US. According to the Case IH guys the Drago and Gerringhoff chopping corn heads have been selling enough to make them notice. They also said they have a new non chopping head in the works... i would guess it would be the 10XX series replacement they were working on that got scratched for the NH head they now sell ( or try to sell i should say)

Edit: Oh and jj2, gerringhoff makes the only folding/chopping heads that i know

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was at the plant yesterday with one of our customers looking at the 12 row 30" chopping head that will be used in corn harvest this year in the Grand Island area. They plan on harvesting 3000+ acres with it and it will be on a new 8010. Case will have a handfull of these heads around the country this fall for field testing. It has some good features on it besides the chopping knives. The row unit frames are heavier and look similar to the 1000 series. The snapping rolls are again supported on the front with a bearing and the knives are sharp edged and run tip to tip like the 1000 series. The gathering chains look more like a roller chain with a larger idler on the front. There are poly wear slides behind the gathering chain guides. The spring tensionser is fully enclosed and doesn't look to be adjustable. The head comes with a special tool that you use to push the idler up to remove the chain. The auger is split in the middle and driven from both ends with a chain drive that is automatically lubed. The chopping knives are long enough to pretty well cover the full length of the snapping rollers and can easily be disengaged on each gearbox by simply moving a rod if desired. Overall, I like the looks of the head and am very anxious to get it to the field.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts