The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 8010 combine with fd70 header last year it did this as well, but it started working again.

When I started harvesting this year the first 8 or 10 hours it was fine then it started doing the same thing as last year.

When i hit resume the header drops very slowly to working height. I have checked the cable and I can see the indicator when I am up it is at 1 and when it gets to working height it moves to 3 where it was supposed to be. but it drops very slowly. I did header recals and the like and checked that the potentiometer is moving, and it is, but it has not fixed the problem. I am just wondering if the potentiometer is not functioning properly on the auto height on the fd70 header. I believe there is a way to check it in the diagnostics page but not sure which item to look at. I believe feeder height is the sensor on the feeder house and not the sensor on the header.

any help?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply but i have done all of that and its not different. The reason I thought maybe the pot is because it will be working fine and then all of a sudden one day it stops dropping properly, and its not at the start of a day or anything like that, it will be one pass its working and go to drop it on the next pass and its slow and the rest of the day or week it will be like that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You need to readjust the cable to the indicator, the indicator should show next to zero when the header is in the air. What is happening is the potentiometer is reading 1 and thinking the header is starting to contact ground so it is slowing the drop rate.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
think I got it thanks for replys, just in case anyone else ever has the problem here is what i found/did.

1) the potentiometer of the header has to read between .6volts and 4.5 volts, to check this simply go into the diagnostics screen select the header height/autoheight group, then select the left tilt/autoheight item then select graph and it will readout a voltage reading. In my case the voltage reading when the header was off the ground was 4.2 or 4.3 volts which is right on the bottom line where the computer thinks the header is just starting to touch the ground, as such its drop rate would slow.
2)adjust to the potentiometer so that when the header is off the ground your voltage reading is 4.5 volts but then check when you header touches the ground that the voltage starts to drop (i.e. make sure you did not adjust to far).

That seems to have fixed it. The sad part is I could not find that voltage range in the combine manuals, but rather found it in the macdon service manual.

thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
header drop rate

think I got it thanks for replys, just in case anyone else ever has the problem here is what i found/did.
i have the opposite problem -with 36' draper header when you hit the return to cut button the header slams into the ground--i get the alarms that automatic header height is not engaged.--as well as automatic right and left tilt are also not engaged--- everything has worked fine in this regards for 6 years and then the other day it started doing that--my voltage is around 1.7-2.4--i tried swithcing the sensor for the tilt and feeder housing but it didn't make any difference
1) the potentiometer of the header has to read between .6volts and 4.5 volts, to check this simply go into the diagnostics screen select the header height/autoheight group, then select the left tilt/autoheight item then select graph and it will readout a voltage reading. In my case the voltage reading when the header was off the ground was 4.2 or 4.3 volts which is right on the bottom line where the computer thinks the header is just starting to touch the ground, as such its drop rate would slow.
2)adjust to the potentiometer so that when the header is off the ground your voltage reading is 4.5 volts but then check when you header touches the ground that the voltage starts to drop (i.e. make sure you did not adjust to far).

That seems to have fixed it. The sad part is I could not find that voltage range in the combine manuals, but rather found it in the macdon service manual.

thanks
i have the opposite problem--out of the blue when you hit the return to cut button--the header slams to the ground--it worked good for 6 years--my voltage is between 1.7-2.4--is that ok? i also get warnings on screen saying auto height is disengaged-and left and right lateral is also disengaged-it seems to me that i shouldn't hjave a calibration problem because it had been working and then all of the sudden it wasn't working--i'm not real sure how to use the diagnostics page--what are the start and stop buttons for in the corner? also the header i was using was a 36' honeybee draper --i put on a 2162 pickup header and i can at least run it manually--the return to cut button won't work on it either--but with it being lighter it goes down to the ground at a reasonable pace

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Puddles:
Your solution is "Very interesting". The fact that it works makes me want to go "play" with one of these combines settings. That said: I hate to disagree with a "solution", but I don't believe that is the correct answer. The problem here is the combine will see 4.6V as an error, and disable AHC. So you are right at the error point--any slight change in the movement is going to start throwing errors in the future. The 0.6 to 4.5V range you mention is the ALLOWED range, not desired range. 1-4V is desired. CIH heads often run 1.0-4.0V. Any reasonable range (within the allowed) you set the sensor to, and then properly calibrate the combine, the combine should work correctly within that range. (Doesn't mean it always does!) If you didn't recal your combine after changing the setting, that would expalain why it works better.
One other thing to check is make sure you do NOT have a header select of "grain/Flex" (you shouldn't.)

I will say we have been hearing a LOT of complaints about this problem. I believe it is an issue with CIH's newer software. Increasing the "Pressure Override" value in Head 2 often seems to help.

KTMRAY:
DId you recently update Software in your combine? Check the CCM1 version---classic symptom of the latest 32.29 software, which should be removed. Ignore the start and stop--just look at the voltage in the upper left corner of the Graph tab under Diagnostics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.