The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a F30 with 400 series hookups on our 575R. The header floor steps down into the feed house. In other words, the grain feeding into the feed house has to take a step down. It's as if the header is trying to feed the grain into the middle of the feed house chain front drum. If we bleed oil out of the correct fitting on the right side tilt cylinder we can lower the header relative to the feed house but once we tilt the header enough during operation the cylinders return to normal. Someone told us they had the ability to do that from the cab. Did we understand them correctly?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I’m understanding you correctly the Hp feeder house tilt is raised up to the in relation to the feed house?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coming back to this, here is a picture of the header tilt cylinder on the right side. It seems the default level position is 2" higher then optimum for the header to feed flush into the feed house. The tilt cylinders are connected in series (slave) so bleeding oil from the correct port allows us to lower them both until the header floor is flush with the feed house floor but it seems after operating the tilt for a bit they return to the "too high" position.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The way the tilt functions on these heads, the cylinders are supposed to sit in the "midrange" of the stroke; to tilt, one goes up, and one goes down. I can't comment on why the floor does not line up, but if the cylinders are about 50% of full travel when you are running level, that would be correct. If they are close to fully extended, then you need to adjust the sensors or recal the tilt range.
This is all from memory so I could be wrong.

I'd way rather have a step down then a step up.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I agree with Jeff. Never been around that setup but if you fully tilt it and look at the "step", one side will have a deeper step yet, and the other side will be about smooth......?????? If so, that sounds right.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I am not familiar with your machine but it make sense to me that if the cylinders work in tandem ( one up one down ) you would need to have the step down to avoid a step up on one side when tilted .

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We checked yesterday while tilted to one extreme and there was still a 1" step down. We don't see such with our JDs so hence the curiosity. Obviously it has to some leeway somewhere for the tilt so maybe we'll have to take a closer look at how the JD does it.

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
Having trouble figuring the mount there, when feeder faceplate is level the transition should be roughly level.
Is it possible someone has modified the mount?
The plate not sitting properly on cylinders?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Having trouble figuring the mount there, when feeder faceplate is level the transition should be roughly level.
Is it possible someone has modified the mount?
The plate not sitting properly on cylinders?
It's actually better that its high, and not level. When the header tilts, it will remain high or flush on the low side of the lateral tilt. If flush, the header would drop below the feeder house, which is not optimal.

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
Normal on full tilt is one side slightly below, other side slightly above.
I‘d have to check, try to get pic.
Perhaps geometry has changed over the years.

Yes, average above better than below feeder edge.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a F30 header (400 series multilink) on a 575R (newer multilink). Maybe that is the reason for the discrepancy.

If it at least was flush on the side tilted down, I'd be happy. Now there's still a 1" step down.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
While it may be that the mechanical frame of the head is different from the 400 to 500 causing this discrepancy, the electrical "Guts" of the 400 & 500 series Multilinks were almost identical. The lateral lilt vertical position is not affected by any electronics on the header (except the obvious back & forth), thats all determined by the hydraulics on the latch cylinders. There are not even any sensors on these - the hydraulic system somehow knows to raise them to a certain point and then they push oil back and forth between the two when tilting. I'm sure there is some kind of phasing function, and bleed screws, but I've never actually worked on one. Again, NO electrical on the cylinder position, all hydraulic.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While it may be that the mechanical frame of the head is different from the 400 to 500 causing this discrepancy, the electrical "Guts" of the 400 & 500 series Multilinks were almost identical. The lateral lilt vertical position is not affected by any electronics on the header (except the obvious back & forth), thats all determined by the hydraulics on the latch cylinders. There are not even any sensors on these - the hydraulic system somehow knows to raise them to a certain point and then they push oil back and forth between the two when tilting. I'm sure there is some kind of phasing function, and bleed screws, but I've never actually worked on one. Again, NO electrical on the cylinder position, all hydraulic.
Yes. If we let oil out to lower the header relative to the feed house, the next time the feeder tilts to one extreme it starts to bleed past to the other side and raises back up to the usually position.

As far as the header fit otherwise, it appears to fit the feed house and latches nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
This brings back a memory of the first time I replaced a feeder floor. I didn't think of how the floor should sit with wear in mind. I made a step up. That floor wore through in less than 1 season on a Deere 9600. Step down, way better than a step up. Not saying it is correct. Just commenting.

You say the cylinders are slave style? Possible to have an internal leak in a cylinder? That is my first thought on this system that I have never delt with.

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
You guys sure it’s a master/slave setup?
I think it’s the same cylinders just hydraulically opposite plumbed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One valve line goes to each cylinder's ram end (top) and their head ends (bottoms) are connected to each other.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
One valve line goes to each cylinder's ram end (top) and their head ends (bottoms) are connected to each other.
Yep. 400-700 at least. Push oil in the top of one, oil from the bottom pushes over to the other and pushes it up. Back & forth. There is some way the cylinders work up until centered, and then stay that way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts