The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what potentiometer part number is correct for a older 1020 header on a 2166. We were sent a 127360A2. Its not working. The prev owner said the combine was working with his header. Our header was working correct on a 1440, but we were told we needed a different potentiometer for the 2166. someone please tell me what is correct, this is getting expensive. Any ideas appreciated

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Mike, there is so much "just wrong" information on this issue its not even funny. The problem is actually more the wiring than the sensor. CIH techs are trained to talk about "resistance"...which is not a significant factor on the height pot (tilt is different). BOth the old style and new style pots will work on the newer combines, if connected properly. BTW, I'm not sure about your "new" sensor p/n, I don't see that # in CIH parts for your head.

If you are willing to grab a voltmeter, you can quickly make ANY of the pots listed (1440 style or 21-23xx style work with the 21-23xx combines (the other way does not work, FYI). the key to understanding is that CIH swapped "polarity" in the 3 pin round grey plug between the 1688 and the 21xx combine models, so plugging in the old style pot and it goes backwards. All you really need to do is swap wires A & C in that plug.

Here's the scoop: Simply backprobe (use a paperclip, etc to slide in past the seal on the plug) the B wire in the 3 pin plug. It must be connected, measure DC voltage to a frame ground. When the head is down hard on the ground, the voltage should be 2-3V, and INCREASE to 5-6V as you raise the head.
> If the voltage goes backwards, swap A & C wires at the plug.
> If the voltage is out of range, adjust linkage until its in range.
> Do a combine quick cal.

If that does not get you going, there is another issue with either the combine or head.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, there is so much "just wrong" information on this issue its not even funny. The problem is actually more the wiring than the sensor. CIH techs are trained to talk about "resistance"...which is not a significant factor on the height pot (tilt is different). BOth the old style and new style pots will work on the newer combines, if connected properly. BTW, I'm not sure about your "new" sensor p/n, I don't see that # in CIH parts for your head.

If you are willing to grab a voltmeter, you can quickly make ANY of the pots listed (1440 style or 21-23xx style work with the 21-23xx combines (the other way does not work, FYI). the key to understanding is that CIH swapped "polarity" in the 3 pin round grey plug between the 1688 and the 21xx combine models, so plugging in the old style pot and it goes backwards. All you really need to do is swap wires A & C in that plug.

Here's the scoop: Simply backprobe (use a paperclip, etc to slide in past the seal on the plug) the B wire in the 3 pin plug. It must be connected, measure DC voltage to a frame ground. When the head is down hard on the ground, the voltage should be 2-3V, and INCREASE to 5-6V as you raise the head.
If the voltage goes backwards, swap A & C wires at the plug.
If the voltage is out of range, adjust linkage until its in range.
Do a combine quick cal.
If that does not get you going, there is another issue with either the combine or head.
thanks, this is the best info I have had

1 - 4 of 4 Posts