The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a header height control for a pickup header. We have one on the 1020 flex and I have looked at the parts. It appears as though the case "sensor" is simply a potentiometer. I can buy all the pieces for the 1020 and then fit it to a pickup header, given that case tells me that they do not sell as auto height kit for pickup headers, but the cost of the parts is stupid given what a pot and a few rods will cost.

Question is does anybody know what the specs on the pot should be. It is encased in plastic and I cannot see the specs on it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I don't know what the resistance is, but you could get an ohm meter and measure the resistance. The potentiometer circuit on the header should be quite simple, thus easy to reverse engineer and duplicate.

I'm sure you could buy replacement pots for something like a 1020 flex header. Keep in mind that the pots from case are going to be mostly weather proof. If you buy a non-CIH pot, I'd look for something that can withstand that environment.

-Lance

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have measured the resistance and it appears to be a 1k pot (994ohms measured). What would happen if I used a 1.5k pot (I have a couple I could use)? Would this simply result in reduced responsiveness (i.e header would have to move more before the controller would respond) or am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
If it was me, I'd get a 1K pot. That is a pretty common size, so it should be relatively easy to find. Finding one that is waterproof will be more of a challenge.

What you don't want to do is hook something up wrong that shorts out one of the header height control circuit boards in the combine. I'm not trying to discourage you from building the circuit, because frankly, a single pot is one of the simplest electrical circuits there is.

-Lance

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will probably go like you say and get a 1k pot, i need to check if it is linear or log yet(assuming linear but will check just in case). As far as weatherproofing it, I was planning on encasing the unit inside of hot glue or silicone and all that would be exposed to the elements would be the knob of the potentiometer, do you see any issues with this approach.

If I fry the header height controller I guess I get to call myself a dumb a** and I get an expensive lesson.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
As long as you think you can keep dust and moisture from getting in the through the bushing around the knob.

I've seen a couple of the CIH ones seize up, presumably from fine dirt getting in around the shaft.

-Lance

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I metered the pot on a corn head yesterday. It is a 1K ohm pot, and all 3 pins got to the plug. It also covered about 600 ohms of range in the ~90 degrees of travel, so the pot probably only has 180 degrees of total travel. Most pots have ~330 degrees of travel, which isn't going to give you as good of resolution/sensitivity. It appears that you want a linear 1K ohm, waterproof, 180 degree potentiometer.

-Lance

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Lance,

The range of motion is an important factor I will need to look at that a little more.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Just a suggestion. CIH has an aftermarket kit to put the auto header height control on their 2062 draper platforms. I have no idea of the part # or price but it could be an easier way to do this for you.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the thought I will call for pricing on their potentiometer and housing tomorrow, but it looks like the same sensor as on the 1020 header. Just the mounting components appear to be different. I will check though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts