The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in your opinion is an acceptable amount of header loss ? We are currently running a geringhof (sp) 8/30" on a 7120 with standard knife rolls and adjustable deck plates. Back shaft speed set at minimum (610 rpm) and deck plates closed. Loss is estimated at 2-4 bu/ac. Corn is 20-24%.
New head and combine this year so it is not worn out.
Any suggestions ?????

·
Registered
22 Posts
2-4 bu/acre seems excessive for 20-24% corn. What angle are you stripper plates at relative to the ground when head is in the operating position? Tipping the head back has helped us some with our 2300 combine with 2200 corn head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How do ya tilt header back and how much? I know Deere guys with this complaint buy a "wedge kit" for there corn head . Are they avail. for the red ones too??

·
Registered
238 Posts
Seed loss, per the manual: 1.5 seeds/sqr foot in corn is a bushel/acre if i recall correctly. 4 bushel loss is 6 seeds/ square foot across the whole field? That is high for sure.

I could be remembering wrong.

I am doing maybe a bushel behind the combine, and that even seems like a lot to me. I am a bit of a fanatic about seed loss, but i also accept a lot of cob bits in the bin. The pigs don't seem to mind, and it they can use the roughage!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The tighter you can run the stripper plates with out plugging the less loss you will see. Also you want the ear to hit the plate at a low velocity. This means that for lowest loss you need to slow the head down and close the plates. The bad thing is this will also make your ground speed very slow. It will also bring in more stalks and leaves which can increase the rotor loss

So I always find that it is a trade off between how fast I want to run and the acceptable header loss.

This late in the year I am in a hurry to finish so I don't look at the header loss as much as I did in the beginning of the season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crossflow, I believe that we are in the mid position with the feeder face. I have also thought of that cause it seems like the cobs stay floating above the stalk rolls before they are carried into the auger too long. As an employee I just hate seeing the corn laying on the ground when you know you can't do s**t about it and the boss keeps talking about it.

gpmci102, That is my main question which I can't seem to figure out, what is the perfect balance between ground speed, roll speed, deck plate width
If you're too tight she plugs, if your too slow she pushes stalks over and if your too slow you don't fill the combine.

Thanks to all for your replies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Case IH combine's feeder face plate can be tilted by loosening about 4 bolts on each side of the feeder and then adjusting the face plate, and tightening back down.

The operators manual for a Geringhoff Northstar head states the stripper plate angle should be 22 degreees for that head. One can buy an angle finder at Sears for about $5. We usually run our 2200 head flatter than the 2200 book setting - in the wetter corn (24-30%) we have been having this year, book setting would be fine - dryer corn gives us the most head loss troubles.

·
Super Moderator
3,842 Posts
That makes a corn kernel about twice as large as a pea or about 15X's as large as wheat kernel.
Is that about right?

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts