The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2188 with a 1030 header. The reel does not run that smooth and when you start it will run fast but quite soon it will slow down and you are stuck with a limited speed. I have swapped switch's in case it is that but no difference. I have changed the return filter. Also auto reel speed does not work at all so I am always in manual. Any ideas ? If it was a 1460 (which we have also) you would say check the drive belt but this is not really an issue with the 2188

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had a similar problem last year on our 2188, the reel would run at top speed and then just stop suddenly no way of adjusting speed at all!, all solenoids were working ok, and reading as they should, the header control module was swapped to another combine and it worked ok on it, so we removed the solenoid so the reel oil flow would be constant pumping and put a gate valve on the oil line where the header joined up and just maunally restricted oil flow to slow it down.
Is there an error code coming up?
Maybe mice have chewed through wires somewhere and there is poor contact somewhere, as we had a few wires chewed but all were joined up and reading correctly and still wouldnt run the reel right, our header control module is being checked and if its not the problem we will just be stuck doing the same as last year

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still trying to work it out...My reel does not stop and I can adjust the speed but it is not smooth, jerky....when going fast as if it has a return restriction. Changed return filter and checked lines, have you ever had problems with the seals inside the valve I am wondering if that may be it, I hope to have a look tommorow. Never had this problem with our 1460's, different pump system..

Do you know if there is anywhere I can get a feed of oil to run a side knife ?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would get a Case IH tech or someone that knows what they're doing and check the reel relief pressure. There is a valve above the left hand front axle bolted to the side of the machine. There are shim kits to adjust this to get the correct pressure. There is an old thread on here somewhere about this. Usually when a reel surges this is the problem. A tech on here may be able to shed a bit more light on the subject. I'm getting a little rusty

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not yet... But I am thinking that the augar is not that fast to swing out and as that uses that same pump maybe I should check the pressure refief valve ? The other point is the header valve block, i hear that shims are used to regulate pressure, has anybody had experince with this. The problem is as we have just started harvest I do not want to make it worse..

Price of wheat has got interesting....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep things are looking up this harvest, but only to drive up rent prices next year here in Ireland anyway!
I was talking to a contractor who said to check the reel speed sensor magnet for iron fillings which can throw off the header control module, just have to find where the heck it is now, hopefully its an easy fix, ment to be cutting in two days fingers crossed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts