The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my refurb project on my L2 done. Got it to the field late Nov in less than ideal bean conditions. Have most of bugs worked out hopefully and our testing was done combining high moisture beans around 50+/acre in less than ideal weather conditions.

The L2 now has the PFP enclosed cyl with new concave and speed-up kit, N5 engine at 200 hp running a JD 922 flex head. The capacity increase with the PFP cylinder and N5 engine is significant if not amazing.

So far we've been able to push the ole girl to over 7 mph with still more left in her. Sample clean and not throwing out the back BUT the header cut is not satisfactory (we believe the knife can't keep up). Has new SCH knife system (blades/guards/back rollers) but still the original JD gear box. We have sped up knife to max that the JD gear box is spec'd for - so we think we're just out running the knife.

My question- Do I dare think about putting a JD 630F (or wider) or a Macdon 30+ draper on her. Obviously 7 mph or anything close to that is stupid fast. I'd like to be able to do beans (normal conditions) at about 4+ mph but keep the combine full.

Could an L2 carry such a big header, would I have the hyd capacity to even lift it and what else have I missed. I don't want to structurally destroy her either. I know rear weights would be required too.

Looking for advice. Am I way off base. I think that the machine now could handle at least a 30 ft and with the smooth draper feed maybe more. Any thoughts appreciated

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't know how heavy a bigger flex head would be but I know when we ran a 830 black head on our L3 it made the back end a little light. Not bad enough that you would tip forward but could feel you were light on the rear. I know we had to turn up the header raise time because the heavy head made it raise slow.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have been thinking of putting the PFP cylinder into my L. Just wondering if the capacity difference is worth the cost and as good as advertised? If you can get that kind of speed/capacity out of it, it sounds like it would be. Talked to PFP and they said guys around them are running 25' MacDon draper heads on the L's

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gleaner l: We haven't put enough acres thru the refurbed L2 to tout its performance unequivocally, but it sure looks like performance is very substantially improved. We run an L3 without any mods and there is a very definite difference between the two in favor of the PFP unit. The impact of the N5 power plant in the L2 I think is also relevant.

I think our real challenge will be to be able to maximize that improvement and I think that has to be thru header size- by that I mean much bigger. That's why I posted. Hopefully someone has some experience with big heads on smaller class machines.

I think my L2 could handle the capacity of a 30-35 ft header (I personally think a 25 ft is not big enough). I just don't have the experience to know whether it can physically handle one. The cost of a 30-35 ft draper on a machine that the marketplace says is worth MAYBE $5000-$7500 is also something I think about. I have many multiples of that invested in the refurb. I'm going to have to work the cost out of her.

I think normal conditions will likely substantiate and maybe even increase my view of very substantial performance improvements. If you were to add the cylinder I think you need to factor in the appropriate head size. I do not regret putting the PFP in, even if I don't max out performance. As an aside on our first load to elevator from L2 I received the unsolicited comment of how clean the sample was (moisture was unfortunately over 24%).

If you decide to buy a cylinder pm me and I can share some install points with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.