The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking At a '96MY 9600 and I have a question for anyone with knowledge on this. The combine is setup to run 600 series head with hooks& single pt.hookup & hyd. for hydraflex. I was wondering if it isworth the extra money for the 600series head,we were planning on a 930hd. for it. Also if the combine is setup this way can you still run the older series ch? TIA;Paul

·
Registered
184 Posts
The 630f works real well for us. IMO cut way better than the 930 in wheat. We run a 630f on our 9660WTS & a HB on our 9600, I'm looking for another 630f.

·
Registered
400 Posts
go for the 600, much better head.
if you decide to get a 900, you will have to do some converting if the combine is single point,
wether you convert the combine back to multipoint, or the head up to single point
the hooks will work with all JD heads
if your ch has hyd deck plates, you will have to convert them, but if not, just hook up and go

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice; do you think we should go for a combine with CM or will a LL machine work ok with the 12RN & 30'flex;our ground is not flat but not steep either more gentle roll.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have rocks a'plenty here,davedan by your comment you are saying the 600 will tear the auger up before it will slip the clutch? isthere no way to adjust so it will slip easier? ststech;found only one '96 with CM on it, they are rare. Is it a big deal to put a Hilco CM on 9600?

·
Registered
400 Posts
i've never put one on, but by the looks of things, its pretty straight forward. you would have to split the valve stack to get another section in

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ststech: do you know if Deere has a kit to put CM on? I would think you have to change the hydro handle as well;and maybe wirig harness to make auto contour.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Regarding the 600 heads and clutch issues. Deere has made several changes to the clutch on these heads, trying to help the issue however after talking with techs where the clutches are made the units are designed correctly and work correctly when used in like conditions. in other words if you stuff too much grain in the head and happen to pinch enough under the edges of the flighting against the trough, the clutch will do its job. However the clutch will not work when a rock enters the head. The 900series heads had shorter flighting which would not allow a rock to get between the tube and floor, granted Im talking of the kind of rocks that will destroy these heads, and Ive done it. What get the 600s is when a rock maybe the size of a football or volleyball gets under the tube and conveys over to the center area it kindof lays there long enough to tear off the inspection door and on the next revolution gets hung up on the hole, wedged against the floor and bends the auger. The clutch isnt even close to having its limits tested at this point, doesnt take much force to push the tube up enough to bend it.
There are ways to change the torque limits of these clutches measured in newton meters but you would have to drop holding capacity soo far for the rock issues that you couldnt get a good feed of crop into a hungry machine.
THe 600 heads are still by far a nicer head, better knife drive, sickle is better, guards last twice as long, feeds more, etc but a guy needs to build rock dams just behind the guards and raise the reel up a bit if he needs to run in rocky conditions.
As for our rocky conditions, I held on to my old 930 which still does the job.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the detail davedan; I probably will not end up with a 600 head but it is good to know what the downside about these heads could be. If looking at a used head be sure to check auger for straightness. I have had rock stuck in 900 head before,it got wedged between auger and floor at the feeder house opening,didn't bend anything but took atractor and chain to get it out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
there is no kit for this conversion.
i have however done a swap between 2 machines (9750's). the hard part is finding a donor combine.
the wiring harnesses should be there, if they are 95 or newer. the valve stack needs another section. along with the hydro handle changed.
not sure about the control board next to the cab, it may need to be swapped also.
on the 9750's i just had to change an address in the controllers

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info 9770 HS . There just is not many 9600 with CM on them,this will give me an option to put one on a machine that does not have it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts