The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it is frowned upon to do this? I personally hate swathing and the more we can eliminate it the better. Is anyone doing this? Chem Rep said that Heat does not kill germ and its only $5/ac. Might try it on a little seed wheat too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just wondering if it is frowned upon to do this? I personally hate swathing and the more we can eliminate it the better. Is anyone doing this? Chem Rep said that Heat does not kill germ and its only $5/ac. Might try it on a little seed wheat too.
Maybe I'm in the dark here but since when can u use any product on malt barley!!! It has a open seed to the chemical and will have residue on it guaranteed! If you cant use glfo why could u use anything else? Maybe I'm ignorant about this but always thought only reglone on malt and that is it. Hate to be the guy who screwed a hole boat of malt...

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Better check with the company your going to sell the malt to. Most companies have a clause in their contracts stating that there is no desiccants of any kind used on the malt barley. Therefore by doing a contract you are declaring that you didn't use any. I would hate to be the guy that contaminated a big bin in an elevator.
The last I checked there wasn't any chemical registered for desiccation of malt barley. The Canada Food Inspection Agency does not allow it.
I see what you are trying to do but not sure there is an answer

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Better check with the company your going to sell the malt to. Most companies have a clause in their contracts stating that there is no desiccants of any kind used on the malt barley
Thats what i assumed, thing is i just don't know anything about the chemical and hey, you never know, it might be special:eek:

All i know is that it is now a certified desiccant, which means we can use it on seed wheat! Thats what the rep said anyway, but he didn't know about barley.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The companies don't want glyphosate on malt because it could kill the germ. Heat as a desiccant would be used alone. You should still check with the company you are contracting with to make sure that they will accept desiccated barley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.