The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a very good harvest all done 260 hrs on our S670 nothing went wrong till the last 50ha left to harvest. The last block being a small block of Morava vetch which we had a go at harvesting to get some seed. We got seed but I also had a fire which burnt out 800 acres, scared the crap out of us, no one got hurt and the only damage was a fence and stubble, thanks to everyone that helped.

The vetch was very much like chickpeas sticking the exhaust system then smouldering enough the light up. Has anyone wrapped there muffler and exhaust system with heat wrapping to stop the source of heat. The turbo might be tricky as it might not be good to trap heat. Do the manufactures of combine care about fires because any modern machine of any color seems hopeless in chickpeas? Or is the money in building corn machines that never operate in hot dry crops. Our machine has no emissions bullshit on it just a very simple turbo, pipe muffler and reckon that fires will get worse when add hotter exhausts.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
We swapped the muffler on our 70 series for a straight pipe wrapped in that fibre glass stuff that they then put a coating on fixed our fire worries in chickpeas.
We just swap the muffler back over when we finish.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Been a very good harvest all done 260 hrs on our S670 nothing went wrong till the last 50ha left to harvest. The last block being a small block of Morava vetch which we had a go at harvesting to get some seed. We got seed but I also had a fire which burnt out 800 acres, scared the crap out of us, no one got hurt and the only damage was a fence and stubble, thanks to everyone that helped.

The vetch was very much like chickpeas sticking the exhaust system then smouldering enough the light up. Has anyone wrapped there muffler and exhaust system with heat wrapping to stop the source of heat. The turbo might be tricky as it might not be good to trap heat. Do the manufactures of combine care about fires because any modern machine of any color seems hopeless in chickpeas? Or is the money in building corn machines that never operate in hot dry crops. Our machine has no emissions bullshit on it just a very simple turbo, pipe muffler and reckon that fires will get worse when add hotter exhausts.
I was also having smoulders from exhaust manifold on my S77. They installed a kit on it which consists of a blanket that covers manifold and the a metal shield that covers it. The comment farmerjones had ( somethings never change) must also refer to Deere. Google aluminized heat blanket.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
We swapped the muffler on our 70 series for a straight pipe wrapped in that fibre glass stuff that they then put a coating on fixed our fire worries in chickpeas.
We just swap the muffler back over when we finish.
Doesn't your muffler have the suction tube in it to pull dust out of the air filter? I know when ours broke off inside (9860), the exhaust melted the rubber hose and the air filter would plug within 2 hours.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I wrapped an exhaust pipe on a 2 stroke motorcycle several years ago to try and stop it from burning my pants and it retained so much heat it burned the motor up. I used the cloth type of header wrap.
I have a camera mounted on the end of my unload auger looking back towards the motor on my 2388 just for that reason. If something should flare up hopefully I would see it before it got crazy out of control. I guess that dosn't help the fire in the field though does it. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It sounds like something similar I had in sunflowers with a 9600. The best I could determine dust settled on the hot turbo housing and started smoldering. I know in the Sunflower magazine there have been articles on fire prevention and exhaust blankets were suggested.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Keep the radiator clean and the air flowing strong. Best thing to help keep the dust blown off the engine. Wrapping the exhaust is usually to keep the heat in the exhaust system for a more effective turbo. Now adays, for a more effective particulate filter also. I would be careful the blankets don't trap dust or collect it. That or oil. Hate to add to a problem. Again, best thing is to keep as much air blowing as possible. Keep the radiator screen systems working perfect and radiators sealed up very well, keep the dust from entering in the first place. These two things are what I see causing fires. Some conditions are just horrible. Blowing off the engine a couple times per day may be required.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,940 Posts
We do it all the time on the deeres and lexions. Fibre frax from Blackwoods. It's a moist premixed bog substance you just push and mould onto your exhaust , muffler and turbo. Combine this with the fibreglass wrap and your problems will be 99% solved. No harm to engines.
There's some pictures on here in the case or NH section and abit of other info. Search phillphy's threads.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Keep the radiator clean and the air flowing strong. Best thing to help keep the dust blown off the engine. Wrapping the exhaust is usually to keep the heat in the exhaust system for a more effective turbo. Now adays, for a more effective particulate filter also. I would be careful the blankets don't trap dust or collect it. That or oil. Hate to add to a problem. Again, best thing is to keep as much air blowing as possible. Keep the radiator screen systems working perfect and radiators sealed up very well, keep the dust from entering in the first place. These two things are what I see causing fires. Some conditions are just horrible. Blowing off the engine a couple times per day may be required.
In some conditions you can blow everything off every pass and you will still have smoulders. Chickpea and lentil dust in some conditions is like its charged with static and it will cling on everything. My late chickpeas were like this this year and I wouldn't doubt in Australia these conditions are the norm.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A weekend no farming work 40 degrees in the shade and a big day of waterskiing with the kids, nothing like a mercuiser V8 at full noise. Back to vetch snake I think it went 300kg/ ha got enough seed to plant a paddock or two next year first time doing it was pretty easy just crew cut at 9 k and blow the dirt out the back its over $1500 a tonne to buy. Snipe we were cleaning it every pass after the fire and there was still potential smoulder. A mate of mine has wrapped up the muffler on his 8120 case so I will see how it goes as he has a few thousand acres of chickpeas to do and prior to our fire couldn't get an up and back without
a smoulder. There has to improvements that can be made because I reckon the insurance companies are on to this, a new 680 went done last week in chickpeas.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
A weekend no farming work 40 degrees in the shade and a big day of waterskiing with the kids, nothing like a mercuiser V8 at full noise. Back to vetch snake I think it went 300kg/ ha got enough seed to plant a paddock or two next year first time doing it was pretty easy just crew cut at 9 k and blow the dirt out the back its over $1500 a tonne to buy. Snipe we were cleaning it every pass after the fire and there was still potential smoulder. A mate of mine has wrapped up the muffler on his 8120 case so I will see how it goes as he has a few thousand acres of chickpeas to do and prior to our fire couldn't get an up and back without
a smoulder. There has to improvements that can be made because I reckon the insurance companies are on to this, a new 680 went done last week in chickpeas.
See vetch windrowed in the riverina for harvesting, would this help get more and make it nicer to harvest?

·
Registered
911 Posts
In some conditions you can blow everything off every pass and you will still have smoulders. Chickpea and lentil dust in some conditions is like its charged with static and it will cling on everything. My late chickpeas were like this this year and I wouldn't doubt in Australia these conditions are the norm.
Quite a few years back some lupin growers had an extra guy riding in the engine bay putting out the fires as they started. Great job!!!
That was before headers had decent engine bays with better designed wind blast from the fan.
With our old JD7700 we got used to the day long smell of smouldering lupin dust, it was okay if it just burnt off as it hit. We had problems when it built up faster than it burnt off. Then smouldering chunks would drop off and light up chaff collecting in nooks and crannies. Fun times.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.