• Too much money - Don't do it

Votes: 2 8.3%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP

Currently in the designing and getting quotes stage of building a shop, I have been reading and watching possibly every youtube video in regards to farm shops.

I am looking for advice in regards to the do's and do nots of a shop. I am currently considering building a 60x100x20 post building, with a 20x40 lean too. In the lean too considering portioning off 20' to put my washroom, coffee/lunchroom and mechanical room. OR Building a 15x25 mezzanine in the corner of the shop with the mechanical room, bathroom and coffee/lunchroom below.

I will go through the my thoughts so far for the major components of the building, and any input out there will be greatly appreciated.

Construction

Building Type
Building will be located in far East Central Saskatchewan, considering or leaning to the post construction. The stick build and post construction are fairly similar in prices from quotes approximately $6 000 ( + stick build) in the material & labour package, but the concrete is where the price is increased. ( Approximately $10 000). What are the thoughts in regards to the building structure is there a $10 000 structure value there. Looking at the lumber prices and what they seem to be doing makes me wonder if its the time to build a shop. Costs erected ~ $120 000 Average Shell Only Lean Too ~ $12000

Concrete
The plan for post building would be a thickened edge from 6" to 12" at points of entry otherwise 6" thick, with 32 MPA concrete with sulphate resistant mix with 15 Mil rebar on 12" centre with cut control joints at 20'. As for floor drains considering using U drains, with a central located sand sump with the floor grading to them a ?% grade. For a stick build I was thinking a thickened edge slab. Cost - Post Build ~ 10 $/SqFt Stick Build ~ 15 $/SqFt (Prices with base work about $.50 a square for base work) Cost ~ $60 - $80 000.

Doors
Ive read the forums about the doors, and its a tough call for what to do. Im leaning toward bifold on the ends and possibly on the side. The end bifold thinking 30x20 and 24x20 offset to the one side of the building. On the side I'm wanting a smaller door, so was leaning towards a 16x16, and unsure on the style. Leaning towards a bifold as won't lose the clearance height in that area or have it lift straight up than turn so only loose the two feet of clearance. Unsure if that is possible even. Hoping to add my windows into the doors, as I believe it is a more cost effective than into the building.
Costs - Bifold 30 x 20 ~ $13 000 Overhead 24x18 ~ $ 9 000 Overhead 18 x 18 ~ $7 000 Seeing the cost difference in the bifold to overhead, makes me lean to the bifold. 36" Man doors as well by every overhead door.
Costs ~ $ 30 000

Interior
Basic white 29 gauge tin on the walls and ceiling; with a R28 batt insulation in the walls and a R40 blow in insulation in the ceiling. Tyvec on the exterior of the building and Poly of the interior. The tyvec is a extra from some of the builders.
Cost ~ $50 000

Electrical
Conduit underground to 3 spots on 100' walls and 2 spots on 60' walls plus extras for doors and misc. Plan is to run my wire than come up with conduit for just a small portion for banks of plugs on 5' centers. Than for the ceiling plan on running it in the walls and attic with drop outs and the same idea as the wall plugs. The better of the two: surface mount conduit or in the walls and leave some empty sleeves underground or can add a conduit in the future if issues?
Lighting considering the LED high bay lights inside, outside LED wall packs by overhead doors. Plan on variable speed ceiling fans. Budgeting Cost ~ $35 000 - $40 000

Mechanical
Heating considering infloor using the 30 PSI heatsheet (hockey puck looking styrofoam), with a high efficiency boiler. Boiler leaning toward a IBC (~$25 000 System). Probably run it all one zone possibly 2 if go with the lean too. OR going with a Reznor blow through heater (~$5 000). Going to have natural gas.
Single bathroom with just a sink and toilet, than in coffee/lunchroom add a basic kitchen sink. Also considering adding a laundry and wash basin.
For air exchange/exhaust looking into adding a exhaust fan and intake; if decide to wash inside or fumes will allow some way of get moisture or fumes out without opening the doors.
Airlines planing on running in walls with pex and have stub outs with drip pockets at every stub out
Cistern - Burried Fiberglass 2000 Gallon tank, will have to haul water.
Septic - Small basic Septic tank with field.
Budgeted Costs ~ 20 000 without infoor heat $30 000 with infoor

Well here are my ideas on a shop, any input would be greatly appreciated. Sure some of you that built have some brilliant ideas as hind site is alway 20/20. Look forward to hearing your thoughts and any of you that built near Saskatchewan the builders or contractors you would recommend. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
648 Posts
building high enough so water runs away , overhang will help this.
doors in gable ends is nice in winter (snow for door)
bifold as big as possible combine plus header in shop , easy moving stuff in and out.
put extra lights in and and don’t put cover on (flies)
build long enough so you can park superb and work around , maybe not for now but in 20 years
extra insulation
make sure mice can’t get in insulation
etc

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I would consider how much you’ll be going in and out and with what equipment in sizing and locating doors. I wouldn’t want to open a 30’ door all winter just to get a truck in and out. I would also have a decent apron outside the doors. I like your lean to thoughts. I would keep the main shop open

·
Registered
24 Posts
HELP

Currently in the designing and getting quotes stage of building a shop, I have been reading and watching possibly every youtube video in regards to farm shops.

I am looking for advice in regards to the do's and do nots of a shop. I am currently considering building a 60x100x20 post building, with a 20x40 lean too. In the lean too considering portioning off 20' to put my washroom, coffee/lunchroom and mechanical room. OR Building a 15x25 mezzanine in the corner of the shop with the mechanical room, bathroom and coffee/lunchroom below.

I will go through the my thoughts so far for the major components of the building, and any input out there will be greatly appreciated.

Construction

Building Type
Building will be located in far East Central Saskatchewan, considering or leaning to the post construction. The stick build and post construction are fairly similar in prices from quotes approximately $6 000 ( + stick build) in the material & labour package, but the concrete is where the price is increased. ( Approximately $10 000). What are the thoughts in regards to the building structure is there a $10 000 structure value there. Looking at the lumber prices and what they seem to be doing makes me wonder if its the time to build a shop. Costs erected ~ $120 000 Average Shell Only Lean Too ~ $12000

Concrete
The plan for post building would be a thickened edge from 6" to 12" at points of entry otherwise 6" thick, with 32 MPA concrete with sulphate resistant mix with 15 Mil rebar on 12" centre with cut control joints at 20'. As for floor drains considering using U drains, with a central located sand sump with the floor grading to them a ?% grade. For a stick build I was thinking a thickened edge slab. Cost - Post Build ~ 10 $/SqFt Stick Build ~ 15 $/SqFt (Prices with base work about $.50 a square for base work) Cost ~ $60 - $80 000.

Doors
Ive read the forums about the doors, and its a tough call for what to do. Im leaning toward bifold on the ends and possibly on the side. The end bifold thinking 30x20 and 24x20 offset to the one side of the building. On the side I'm wanting a smaller door, so was leaning towards a 16x16, and unsure on the style. Leaning towards a bifold as won't lose the clearance height in that area or have it lift straight up than turn so only loose the two feet of clearance. Unsure if that is possible even. Hoping to add my windows into the doors, as I believe it is a more cost effective than into the building.
Costs - Bifold 30 x 20 ~ $13 000 Overhead 24x18 ~ $ 9 000 Overhead 18 x 18 ~ $7 000 Seeing the cost difference in the bifold to overhead, makes me lean to the bifold. 36" Man doors as well by every overhead door.
Costs ~ $ 30 000

Interior
Basic white 29 gauge tin on the walls and ceiling; with a R28 batt insulation in the walls and a R40 blow in insulation in the ceiling. Tyvec on the exterior of the building and Poly of the interior. The tyvec is a extra from some of the builders.
Cost ~ $50 000

Electrical
Conduit underground to 3 spots on 100' walls and 2 spots on 60' walls plus extras for doors and misc. Plan is to run my wire than come up with conduit for just a small portion for banks of plugs on 5' centers. Than for the ceiling plan on running it in the walls and attic with drop outs and the same idea as the wall plugs. The better of the two: surface mount conduit or in the walls and leave some empty sleeves underground or can add a conduit in the future if issues?
Lighting considering the LED high bay lights inside, outside LED wall packs by overhead doors. Plan on variable speed ceiling fans. Budgeting Cost ~ $35 000 - $40 000

Mechanical
Heating considering infloor using the 30 PSI heatsheet (hockey puck looking styrofoam), with a high efficiency boiler. Boiler leaning toward a IBC (~$25 000 System). Probably run it all one zone possibly 2 if go with the lean too. OR going with a Reznor blow through heater (~$5 000). Going to have natural gas.
Single bathroom with just a sink and toilet, than in coffee/lunchroom add a basic kitchen sink. Also considering adding a laundry and wash basin.
For air exchange/exhaust looking into adding a exhaust fan and intake; if decide to wash inside or fumes will allow some way of get moisture or fumes out without opening the doors.
Airlines planing on running in walls with pex and have stub outs with drip pockets at every stub out

Well here are my ideas on a shop, any input would be greatly appreciated. Sure some of you that built have some brilliant ideas as hind site is alway 20/20. Look forward to hearing your thoughts and any of you that built near Saskatchewan the builders or contractors you would recommend. Thanks in advance.
I talked to a couple smaller local builders about a pole shed and they are both recommending to wait till at least summer, possibly even next year. They said the price of lumber is crazy and they don’t believe is sustainable at this price. They both think it should come down at some point. We bought some pressure treated 2x4x16 footers and they are $20 a board now. Last winter they were around $8. Lumber yards here are just bringing in stuff as needed. They also think lumber will go down in price and don’t want to get stuck with high price inventory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd be building with steel, especially considering current lumber prices. Higher wind loads, no risk of rotting, easier to assemble. Also easier to rig off of steel beams if you have to lift something in your shop.

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
You can still find some pretty good lumber prices depending on what you are looking for if you shop around. For doors I am leaning on overhead doors because if you pull in a half ton or something smaller you do not have to open the door all the way up in the winter. Not to much of what you bring in and out in winter needs the door opened up a full 18ft high. When the door is open up to the top is when a lot of heat loss occurs. With a bifold even if you open it part way up because of the hinge going out the entire opening is virtually open.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
One thing I would consider about heat loss, you won’t ever notice it! As long as your system can recover quick, I’m pretty sure you won’t study your bill that close. Such a small cost on the farm.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I didn't read the entire post or all of the replies but a local guy built a big shop and put a fairly big door in the side in the middle so he can back his drill in and unfold it in the shop to level, repair, maintain etc. I don't farm but it seems like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I like what my neighbours built. 70x120 shop. 24’wide over head door on each end. 12x12 door in the middle with a 2 post lift. Then 20feet beside it they have a 80x120 cold storage with big bi fold doors on each end.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
It was mentioned that outside wall lighting at the large doors was in the plans and perhaps this was thought of but lets say you want the large door open and are pulled up onto the apron with a wide header or implement that can't fit into the shop at night. With an overhead door open you are not obstructing the light from above the door on the outside of the building however if you had any lighting on the interior roof the door is now covering it ( if lighting is placed in that area ). However with a bifold when its open it blocks any mounted lights above the door if mounted to the wall and would have to be on long poles stuck out away from the building to reach past the door when its open however lights on the interior that are near the door area would always be able to shine down no matter the position of the door. Each door creates its own issues when it comes to night lighting if working with a door open. Thought I would throw that out there if that had not been taken into consideration if its of importance to you.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I didn't read the entire post or all of the replies but a local guy built a big shop and put a fairly big door in the side in the middle so he can back his drill in and unfold it in the shop to level, repair, maintain etc. I don't farm but it seems like a good idea to me.
Local Hutt colony does that and imagine others as well that have a large shop where they can unfold very wide equipment, the same would go for your own sprayer if you had a long shop and wanted to fully unfold the booms.

·
Vendor
52 Posts
HELP

Construction

Building Type

Concrete

Doors
Costs ~ $ 30 000

Interior
Cost ~ $50 000

Electrical

Mechanical

Hey there,

Offering our input as a bifold door manufacturer. Lumber prices are very expensive right now, however we are still receiving quotes for people building new so I guess it depends on your timeline and if its worth the wait or not for you.

As far as the door, if you go bi-fold you will be able to use maximum headroom of your building. We have a great insulation package option, greaseless hinges, and we have both windows and polycarbonate panel options for natural light.

You can learn more about the features and options here: Our Doors - Diamond Doors
To request a quote: Request a Quote - Diamond Doors
See our door in action and customer testimonial:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Doesn't anyone make or use sliding doors anymore? Our old shop has a 16' one 50 yrs old. I pictured in my head one or even 2 that meet in the middle with a remote cable system. Then just lock it like you do on a bifold, pulling the door in tight. If the entrance is elevated and your floor is heated the snow shouldn't be a problem. Call me stupid I guess but sliding doors have minimal; maintenance in my opinion. Wind on the side of the building wouldn't be an issue either with the door and the wall being 3" apart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking at doing exactly the same thing. Same size, location, mechanical, etc. Infant stages of the project, but actively gathering quotes from builders, and as the OP mentioned, scouring the interweb for ideas and recommendations. have trusted this site for a long time and appreciate any an all feedback.
Cost of materials is stupid high, but, too many people on this site know all too well what happens when we wait for "next year". Cost of money is also stupid cheap. Is it a wash? Hard to say.
Have heard through different builders that metal and doors both going up 8% in mid feb. Sales pitch maybe?
I will post some quotes once i get all the "apples to apples" business sorted out.
Actively looking for reputable builders recommendations, thank you

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
We have sliding insulated doors on our shop and I hate them. Only 16’ wide but the shop only has 14’ side walls so a overhead door isn’t an option. If you lived where it never snowed or got cold they would be fine. Maybe the newer bypassing doors would be better but anything new will just get an overhead door

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input got the building booked, now have the rest of building to worry about. Any ideas or should haves on the mechanical side of the building and concrete?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the input got the building booked, now have the rest of building to worry about. Any ideas or should haves on the mechanical side of the building and concrete?
Put a long 5 ft pit in, walk under semis combines etc. so nice . have a nice cover for when not using

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there. My name is Mike from Heat Innovations. Give me a call sometime to talk about your floor heat system. $25,000 seems a bit steep. We don't offer installation, but we do offer prebuilt systems that make for a quick/easy installation. I ran some quick numbers and an ASSEMBLED system complete with a 199k btu/hr combi boiler, pumps, thermostat, glycol, etc. Plus the pipe for in the floor, manifolds, a nice package comes in around $15,000. Give us a call. 204-325-4253.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts