Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!.. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Scott Cupps and my twin brother and I farm in Southwest, Mo. Some of you might recognize him as the user “mcupps”. He constantly talks about how much he loves getting on the “Combine Forum” and how knowledgeable many of the posters are. I must admit that some of the information he has gleaned (yes, pun intended) has greatly helped our operation. Our farming endeavors were mainly founded in forage and grass seed production yet recently we have found ourselves planting more “commodity” crops (corn, beans, wheat, oats, etc.) We used to run 4# 540 Massey Ferguson’s mainly because of their ability to go down windy roads, through narrow gates, and be transported on a drop deck with ease. It also had a little to do with my father being raised on an 82, going on custom harvest where they ran 750’s, and later purchasing himself 3# 300’s. With that being said, the last couple of years we have began intensively managing many of our grass seed acres and as a result, came to the quick realization that we needed much more capacity, even when using 12 ft. swathers. After visiting with some friends that farm and a few acquaintances in the grass seed business, we originally started looking for an Axial-Flow (1666, 2166 etc.) or a conventional Deere. After questioning ourselves which machine would be the best fit on our operation, and also the best performing for the price, we started our hunt from scratch. Finally, this winter, after extreme amounts of research, internet browsing, visiting personally with many experienced operators, and a few cold auctions, we purchased an R-62 from Tri-County Equipment Company in Poseyville, Indiana. Needless to say, after a four day trip (that originally was only suppose to take one), a few blown trailer tires is St. Louis, a couple of broken exhaust manifold bolts on a 3406E, and the scattering of about 800 worth of Makita tools on I-44, we got her home. The first thing we did was build an improvised light seed air dampener and adapt a Massey pick-up head to run in fescue. So far we have run it in a couple of different varieties of grass seed and some swathed wheat and are extremely pleased with its performance. I have some pictures and hope to post a couple of videos on YouTube soon. I love to learn about regional agriculture throughout North America and look forward to keeping an eye on the threads! Happy Harvesting!