The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2012 M155 with 2013 35' D65-S Problem - Check Header ID

Was swathing wheat when knife overload error came up on cdm; the knife then went a really high speed and then the header quit working.

The error messages on the tractor error log are: knife overload, and check header id. Also, the reel speed sensor is not working, even after being replaced with a brand new one.

It appears the tractor does not recognize the header all the time, about 50% of the time it will recognize the header, and operate the draper, knife, and reel, but it still will not display the reel speed. (it just reads 0 rpm)

I have done continuity tests on all sensors and wires that i can possibly find. Both the knife speed sensor and reel speed sensor are receiving the same voltage. Also have tried replacing the module with one out of another tractor that was operating perfectly fine.

Out of ideas and the swather is inoperable in current state. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It sounds like there may be multiple randomly occurring open circuits in the communication between the header and the tractor unit. First I would disconect any plugs between the two and give them a good spray down with contact cleaner.

Then it may be wise to disconect the ground connection on the battery for five minutes just in case of the possibility that a fault has been recorded to protect the knive drive from over speed.

Failing that try cleaning any connectors on route to the processor, but be careful no to damage the latching mechanism. I havent had to work on one of these but dust particles or oxidization in connectors are most often what causes electronic problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also check your wiring harness where it goes into and comes out of the tube above the left tire as well as where the hydraulic hoses and harness rub on the grip tape on top of the header. It sounds like the header ID wires are broken. If you go into the computer there is a way force header ID which would override the wires and let you confirm the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Also check your wiring harness where it goes into and comes out of the tube above the left tire as well as where the hydraulic hoses and harness rub on the grip tape on top of the header. It sounds like the header ID wires are broken. If you go into the computer there is a way force header ID which would override the wires and let you confirm the problem.
I tried to force header id at one point, it would drive the draper and reel but would not bring the knife up to operating speed. I checked the connections from header back to tractor and from header into header. I have not found any continuity problems (not saying there isnt any) but i have spent hours and didnt find an issue. What exactly do the header id wires attach to? Is it somewhere in the tube? I will spend some more time and double check all wires in the harness at the header.

Where i am at now is trying to get the reel speed sensor to read data, i am wondering if that is causing some kind of fault. But again i have checked the wires, voltage, and continuity, and all appears fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few years ago we had similar problem. Can't remember 100%, but it was a bad battery or alternator connection.
I tested both batterys, and they appear fine. I also loosened and then tightened the chassis ground and cab ground. I will check alternator connections. I believe the voltage on the cdm appeared normal, but i will check anyway. I appreciate the ideas and will try all of them.

Thanks guys for some new perspectives.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The header ID is right behind the coupler on the header side in the harness. Its just 4 wires that do or do not have power that the computer reads as 1 or 0. If forcing header type doesnt fix it though, then I doubt it is an ID issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have checked batteries and alternator connections. I also ran an external wire to the reel speed sensor so it appears the wires inside the header tube are fine.

I also did continuity tests from the module in the cab to the umbilical cord that goes towards header, so far i am not finding any shorts...

·
Registered
15 Posts
You have frayed or broken wires on the left hand side about in front of the tire. Our did the same thing last yr. The wires are in the loom there. Had to cut the loom open and find the wires. Put a lil extra padding under the harness there cause the hyd hosed sit on the harness and shake and vibrate.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We had one that would not read header ID and I believe there was a wire partially out of the plug going into the ECU in the LH rear corner of the cab (tech found it under warranty). Ours also had a broken wire in the harness that went over the LH drive wheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Continued troubleshooting and still no progress. Thought it may be a tractor issue, tried a m150 and still the header will not read reel speed, and knife speed isnt reaching or staying at set spm. Something with the header, still looking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.