The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have been combining canola a couple of days now with little losses on L130 canola. Moved over to 252 canola last night and losses were way more and can't seem to set machine right. 252 straw is way tougher than the L130. Combine settings are 680 rotor, 700 wind, 18 concave,12 top,8 bottom, spreader @530. Concaves are hard thresh, small wire and 2 large wire.Canola in 30' swaths 20 days swathed, 45 - 50 bushels am traveling 3.5 to 4.5 mph. What other changes in my settings should I try?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Set ur bottom sieve to 14, and lower your wind, go from there... Should help.
Do you have cover plates in the combine? Chopper plate covered?
Dumb question but are the extra new air flaps covering where they should to help seal the sieve?
Where is your presieve set? These combines have been a nightmare since they were introduced... But what can u do now...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Running 8120. Will Check settings in am but try pre sieve first notch. Top sieve 14. Bottom 10. Wind 620. Concave 14 We run all small wire. Slow spreader to 400 or whatever just spreads 30'. Move plate that feeds MOG into spreaders down one notch. Might have to punch out if never used before. Can see precut spot. Hammer and punch pop it right out. Helps stop spreaders from sucking canola off your sieves. Very little seed on ground. 40' fd70 straight cutting L130 55 bushel per acre at 4 mph

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Try slowing down rotor to 550, try putting in as many small wire concave rows as you can, at least the first three rows (hard thresh is ok in row 1). Do you have a chopper cover plate installed, if not get one, makes a huge difference! Top sieve at 13-14 bottom at 11-12, wind at 700-780, concave at 8. I don't believe the spreader theory...but we run ours at around 450 for canola. Speeds to expect is 3 - 4 mph on 35' swath, that's just the max of what these cleaning areas can do in canola. Power is never a problem.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changed my settings today in canola to concave 16, wind 680, Rotor 650, top sieve 12 bottom 10 and spreader at 500. My monitor was still flashing yellow and red on sieve losses. Finally I threw my throw board under combine to check for losses and found maybe 200 seeds on a 5 square foot board directly under the combine. Not sure what that equals in loss but I would say almost nothing. Sensitivity was set at 30, adjusted it down to 20 but did not seem to make a difference on what the monitor was showing for losses.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Local case guru's starting settings
Feeder 580-620
Rotor 550-750(750 if straw is tough) start at 600
Concave 8-10(10 series 4-8)
Pre sieve notch 2
Top sieve 8
Bottom sieve 12( yes bottom wider than top, to narrow blocks off too much airflow)
Spreader 550( to fast sucks canola off sieve)
Fan start at 650 and drop in 20 rpm increments until tank gets really dirty then increase fan speed a little bit.remember chaff runs forward in tank to back window and looks worse than it is. If back window is black you may be to clean.
Depending on seed size 106-196 seeds per sq ft = 1 bushel/acre

·
Registered
133 Posts
Has anyone tried opening the concave a bit more? 10 series try around 15, 20/30 series try at 25-30. Seems to work well in my area, depending on straw conditions of course... Sieve loss sensitivity at about 20-25 and picking 30' around 4.5-5mph the loss barely goes half way up the green.
Settings I've advised most guys to run: 650ish on rotor and fan, 12 and 10 on sieves, pre-sieve in 1st notch, concave as mentioned before. Usually small, small, large, large OR hard thresh, small, large, large

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.