The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help setting and adjusting case ih 1460. It was leaving 4 to 6 inches last year, so we tried raising the backend where it bolts to the axle but tried beans yesterday and it seems to be the same. So now looking for ideas. The rear tires are 18.4-16L that are 45" with 10psi and the drive tires are 67*34.00-30nhs that are 64" tall. The throat plate that the header goes on/against is tipped all the way out and we still have about 4" of cylinder to use so we can bury the header but still cannot get the front/knife down anymore (running a 1020 header). We thought about moving the throat cylinders back to the next pinhole that is back and up a couple of inches, but don't think it will help much and might not clear the cart to take the header on and off for transport. We do have some 30.5L-32 drive tires on the international 915 that we could swap around if it might help. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I assume the picture you took was before the adjustment? I can't remember anymore but can the center section be rotated 180 degrees to gain a lift advantage? to bring the back end up even more?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is after 81 and the header height control is working correctly letting it float and carry fine and when we manually set it down completely we still have that much cylinder available. Trouble is we just cannot seem to get the front/knife down so we aren't leaving 4"-6" of stubble and losing lower podded beans.
We thought raising the rear up with the other axle bolt holes would help, but we didn't gain anything.
Thinking we might need to change tire sizes maybe with either little taller drives or smaller rears, but don't want to really lower backend to much do to fear of changing rotor angle and not letting the beans stay in it long enough to not lose them out the rear. Unfortunately used tires are scare since it is busy harvest time and new would cost around $5000 and no gaur tee that is exactly the whole solution.
Looking for ideas or suggestions on directions to change or things to try. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is after we tried raising the rear, in this picture the rear is dropped down to try and rotate the combine (this is where we ran year and left a little stubble and dealer said that they thought this would be the best spot to run since it drops the rear and should be able to lower the header more, but didn't work last year).
The header is unlocked and we are pretty sure the previous owner ran a 800 series head not a 1020 like us.
The way it looks I do not think it can be flipped and the manual is not helpful about any of this. Grr.
Seems like when we take the air out of the rear tires it starts getting to a better point so might try swapping drive tires for a little more height differential, this would also maybe let us change header cylinder position to help with angle if that is what the different pins for that are supposed to do.
Looking for settings people run, ideas, or any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I recall a discussion on this forum about needing a longer cylinder option on combines with this architecture if you have the stone trap option. If you don't have a stone trap, is it possible that your machine has the longer cylinders for this option in place, preventing it from going low enough. I can't find the thread that this was discussed in, sorry.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
wait a minute there are 5 bolts and an adjuster screw on both sides no pounding involved.
It is likely easiest to make the adjustment if you put several blocks of wood under the knife and allow header to be pushed up slightly while adjusting the tilt. Otherwise it is much easier to change tilt with header removed!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I would think the bottom of the frame should be level ! Owners manual tells where to have the pivot assembly for a given drive tire.
The manual should be pretty close even though the 1020 head is a little different, best way to tell might be to put combine on a flat level surface and lower the head an see where it sits. Our feeder plate looks like its tilted back to the 3rd hole or something like that, depends on drive tire size and feeder length. Ours has 24.5 - 32 tires though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.