The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two pulleys about head high that are on a shaft that goes all the way through the combine to the other side... how does one go about getting that long six sided belt off (without cutting it)... does that entire shaft have to be pulled or is there a locking collar or something to facilitate removal of those pulleys??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Remove tailings drive belt. Take out the four 3/8 bolts on bracket that is holding the bearing. Loosen clean grain belt and take it off pulley. Now the shaft can be moved up and down and side to side to allow you to thread the six sided belt in and around the shaft. You do not have to remove the pulleys or the bearing off the shaft to replace this belt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MATT... you're right

Crazy belt indeed.... beater, etc.... I posted this while I was in for lunch and didn't get any replies until after I'd gone back to the shop... We had a good time.... ended up pulling the outer pulley and the steady bearing and locking collar just to the inside of that to make enough room through that metal to thread the new belt up through... new belt will be in tomorrow... will let you know how that all goes... we never were 100% sure so I went and got my cousin to get his advice... he runs a 1680 but the theory is nearly the same...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know which belt he is reffering to. It is called the right hand side drive belt because it pretty much drives everything on the right hand side of the combine. I just finished replacing mine on my 1420 and it can be done without removing the pully or the bearing.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
On the last field of wheat this year the beater drive pulley on the 2388 came apart. It damaged the belt enough that we had to replace it, too. The only breakdown we had all season, and it had to be one of the worst belts to get to. The icing on the cake was I was going through the thickest part of the field when the pulley gave out and the whole back end of the machine was plugged with heavy, slightly damp straw.

It wouldn't be farming if it wasn't easy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are there othere belts required to be removed to access this one? If others are removed is it common practice to go ahead and replace the belts that were removed for maintenance ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts