The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a debate as to which company has the best opener rather just looking for anyone that has had experience/advice about the Atom Jet paired row openers.

Currently I use a 3.5 inch stealth double shoot opener on a Flexi Coil 5000 air drill with 9 inch spacing and 3.5 inch rounded steel packers. The stealth openers do a great job of placement and for the most part I am very happy with them but the biggest problem is the amount of dirt they move. I typically seed a heavier rate than most when seeding cereals and want to keep the paired row for better seed bed utilization.

If I were to switch my stealth to the atom jet pared row, would the atom jets move less dirt? The atom jets have a more vertical opener vs the stealth as a large angle to the ground. Any input on the atom jet paired row openers would be great.
I just don't want to spend the $10,000 to buy new openers when it might not make much of a difference. We had a couple dry springs and the first rain that came was welcomed so just trying to avoid that situation in the future.
I attached pictures of the atom jet openers I'm looking at and the stealth. The pictures are from another link on here so thanks to the guy that posted them originally.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
With the stealth opener you are tilling deeper. Some seeds fall into the fertilizer trench. One neighbor had them and I wouldnt recommend them. Because the atom jet is on the same plane this wont happen. You should pull up fewer stones with atom jet. Why not atom jet side band? I believe they are less expensive and would move less dirt as well. I have neighbours with atom jet paired row and their field finish didn't look too much different than my side band. Check out Dutch openers too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We run 4" Atom Jet Paired row (PRZ model I think!) and are very happy. We run a Bourgault 5720 on 9.8" spacing. Our prior Bourgalt had 3" and was ok but wanted a little more spacing to give higher rate fertilizer options. We dropped a SS liquid tube at our granular outlet. Our N goes on with MRS. We like the trash flow, they are very good in stones and the replaceable wear point is good. I do feel they pull hard! In about 2005 we put a new set on a 5710 and couldn't pull the drill, I think there was a wedge put behind them to correct that but cant remember for sure! That's our experience, don't know if it helps much.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I went from a stealth side band boot on 9" spacing to an atomjet paired row on 12" spacing. Liked the Stealth setup better for fertilizer separation and low disturbance. Like the atomjet better for not plugging with mud as much and not pulling up as many rocks. What a dirt moving POS IMO. I'd like to try a Dutch side band boot, downside will probably be more rocks pulled up, but if they don't plug as easy as a stealth with mud, I'd be happy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got a set of atom jet paired openers (4" wide) on my Morris Maxim. Hard pulling, dirt throwing, fuel sucking openers! Looking to get rid of them someday, but decided cheaper to just sell the frame, and buy a new disc drill next fall here. If I was going to keep them, it would be a side band boot next. I figure it wouldnt take long in fuel savings to pay for different openers. Not to mention how many shanks I break in a year! @ $150/shank doesn't take long! Also find the frame is very stressed and needs welding/reinforcement every year in certain spots, and im sure this is due to the openers. In a dry year it works the tractor hard, and clumps of dirt are tossed.

Hutterites had the dutch openers and they had mud plugging problems, but kept them on 2 drills and said they like them besides that, other 2 drills had stealth, and they loved them. But like anything talk to one and he says it good and other guy says its ****.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Very interested in this discussion as I am considering a new ( actually good used ) drill. One that I have considered is a maxim 11 double shoot with 10" spacing and bourgault paired row openers. Any one have any experience or care two comment on them ?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Have Bourgault paired row. They are a fantastic opener. Excellent wear resistance and no plugging issues. Biggest issue we have is side by side with our other drill that has Stealth paired row the Stealth yield and germinate much better. We cannot figure out why other than the Stealth puts fert 1" deeper while Bourgault has fert on same plane. We use very little fert 100 lbs of 34-17 so seed burn should not be an issue. We are puzzled - maybe Stealth is better because it's makes the roots grow down to the fert? Stealth are poor for wear resistance - costs a fortune to replace tips/spreaders/and even some main boots that are wearing the side off. Stealth plug immediately when tge seed spreader boots start wearing too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have our first season on the AJ 3" paired row. I was excited to use them but..... In our conditions (wet black clay) I'm not sure they are the tickit. I found in wet ground because they are a vertical style opener the body will build up with mud and any grassy/root and turn into a great big ridgeing plowing POS. This is our first vert style opener so they may all do that ??? There is no 2 clear rows. They are not bullet proof, we have some with broke tips and carbide broke off the wings. As for depth On our drill with 4" rubber packers if your targeting 1" it usually ends up deeper +\- 1". Because the opener puts a majority of the seed to the very outside edge of the packer track, any loos dirt comes around the back of the packer ends up on the outside edge on top of were your seed is. If you try to set it shallower some of the seeds more in the centre will show up on top of the ground. I would think the 4" would be worse?? They may be better used for seed down the centre fert out the sides. I did some test strips of both.... I guess we will see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts