The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 1688 and 2388 2001 model and they are very solid machines and that why I am kind of scared to trade my 1688 on a 8010. The pros in buying one alot more capacity but the negative is reliability. So please some one convince me which way I should go 8010 or 2588/2388.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Good question. How much study have you made of the 8010 itself? It is one big, big, honking combine! You should consider any possible upgrades by trading in the 2388 for a 2588 if only some upgrade in capacity and some new cab/control features are desired. I'm only saying this, because that 8010 is actually closer to the combined capacity of both your 1688 AND your 2388!!!

Uness you just have need for 2 separate combines on your farm, the 8010 would justify the consolidation to that one bine. Otherwise, I would recommend not an 8010, but the smaller 7010, which is still bigger than even a 2588.

I hope I've shed some light on your decision.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think that people need to consider the money they can save buy going with a single machine if it will apply to their needs, if you are farming less than 5000 acres then go with a big machine and save yourself the operator cost, along with upkeep, just as I said in another thread, lexionman575 has a 585R for sale for $135,000 without headers, this machine will do up to 5000 acres a year, you should be avble to 1,000 acres a week with that one machine, yes that is under very good conditions but still very doable. Also that machine is very well built (heavy) when you compair it to an 8010 or 9860. It all comes down to what works for you, how many acres are you farming and what type of grains?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Eeek..I don't want to beat a dead horse, as the one combine vs. two combines "thing" has already been discussed, thoroughly!

I am of the opinion, still, that two combines (their size equaling, together, the one big combine's size) are better than one. If one combine breaks , the harvest goes on...and when one combine breaks (when there's just one [big machine] in the field)...well, we all know that things are ~shut down~....

That being said, I would trade the 1688 for another 2388, if you need to get done faster (or whatever the case might be for "need"). (2) 2388s are gonna' get a LOT done in a day! Just keep 'em rolling!
The 8010, though, is a good machine, from what I hear and from what I've read. There are not any of them around these parts. One would have to get up around Dalhart, Tx to see those "beasts"!
Please let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
i run a 05 afx2388 and have ran a 8010 this year in similar conditions, the capacity was not much different at all, running similar speeds with the same header, now i have my hp turned way up on the 23

i also had a 98 2388 with the standard rotor and a 30auger header, i would say that i could run faster and longer in the day with the 36' afx than the older rotor style

as for your question i would look at a newer 23 or 2588, and if money is not the problem the 8010is the answer, will not be behind much over what your running now

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I agree with the past couple of posters.. Even the GREEEEN GUY

two combines are better than one.

you should get a 2588.. chip it if you want too.

U will love the color monitor.. and its a good machine

nothing different from the last 2388 really but the monitor.
still its nice..

Our local dealer has 25 8010's out and its there beast year yet.

8 brand new with no service calls yet and all of them are about finished

so maybe the 07's are getting up to the reliability we are accustomed too.

Put a draper head on that combine too

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:I agree with the past couple of posters.. Even the GREEEEN GUY

Dude, seriously...surely you have read enough of my posts to know that I run some Deere (AND CIH) stuff, but AM NOT "dipped" in a certain color....In fact, as I write this, I am negotiating on a MX !
Will I need a dual avatar?

I didn't take your post as a jab, though..

Pretty cool for a RRRRRRREEEEEEEEED guy! LOL

·
Registered
126 Posts
We replaced a 2188 and an older 1680 this year with an 8010. The first one had some problems but the 2006 that the dealer brought out worked really good, and now ours is back and seems to be running well so far. If you have a good dealer and find a decent 8010 I wouldn't be scared of it. They all know what the shortcomings were and I think tried hard to fix them.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:

I am of the opinion, still, that two combines (their size equaling, together, the one big combine's size) are better than one. If one combine breaks , the harvest goes on...and when one combine breaks (when there's just one [big machine] in the field)...well, we all know that things are ~shut down~....

That is alot of money in a machine and maintenance to have a spare. Persoally I don't plan on breaking down that much. Usually if the combine breaks everything stops and everyone helps to get it running again. One combine =1 operator. It is easier to find a truck driver than a combine operator.

Quote:Posted by tracked on Today at 4:28pm
I think that people need to consider the money they can save buy going with a single machine if it will apply to their needs, if you are farming less than 5000 acres then go with a big machine and save yourself the operator cost, along with upkeep, just as I said in another thread, lexionman575 has a 585R for sale for $135,000 without headers, this machine will do up to 5000 acres a year, you should be avble to 1,000 acres a week with that one machine, yes that is under very good conditions but still very doable. Also that machine is very well built (heavy) when you compair it to an 8010 or 9860. It all comes down to what works for you, how many acres are you farming and what type of grains?

I would agree with you except for the 8010 not being built heavy. Plus a combine is only as good as the dealer that services it. Here there are no Lexion dealers.

I would trade both on a 8010. It will do as much in a day as those two.

However if you want to keep two get another 2388 or a 2588 to replace the 1680. That way the parts will be similar.

Personally the only time I could use two are in beans and wheat. I'm barely keepping up with the 8010 now in corn. I'm going to have to add a third truck when I add the cart. 5 mph in 185-200 bupa corn with a 12 row is pretty good.

Just look at all the variables before you bye it. You are paying the money and you have to be happy. I love my 8010 so far.

This is just my opinion for what it is worth......

·
Registered
521 Posts
TxFarmer wrote:

Quote:That being said, I would trade the 1688 for another 2388...

Big A wrote:

Quote:However if you want to keep two get another 2388 or a 2588 to replace the 1680. That way the parts will be similar.

So...we agree, right?

I hear what you're saying though, about one 8010. They are acre-eating machines! There will always be pro's and con's to the one vs two ordeal. I wasn't thinking "backup", though...I was thinking two in the field @ the same time...

·
Registered
341 Posts
if your looking to just trade the 1688 up you can probabally can find a nice used 8010 with all the updates for the same or less money than a new 2588. Why not get and try an 8010 for the same $$$$ and see if it will replace both machines. then you will know for sure what is best for your operation.

As far as the 2 or 1 debate i don't understand people that use a blanket statement that this or that is better, to many variables like what crops, yields, labor pool(quality and quanity), support equipment, elevator/grain setup, how efficiently the operation is run, and what you consider timely.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I have the original pain in the a$$ 8010 and she purrs like a kitten now anyone who thinks a turned up 88 will keep up with a 8010 bring it out a 8010 SET UP RIGHT is easily 40% bigger than a 88 in corn and beans depending on conditions it has to have the 06 rotor cage and cone so it works like a 88 inside. the color afs 600 is so far ahead of anything else it's not even funny. but if you like 2 combines keep 2 you cannever go wrong with a 2388 and you can put a color monitor in it as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts