The Combine Forum banner

help me w crop insurance

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MF cowboy 
#1 ·
I broke up a hay ground, 2/3 of the field was heavy disk twice, 1/3 once. very good soil c, but it does range around the field. june 15 I brood cast seeded canola, just before a rain. Had excellent germination. did not get much rain. then the heat hit. when I checked it, it looked like one of them dry pressed flowers, that you would see in some book. it was all dead, there would be nothing to harvest. I called to make a insurance claim. agents were busy with hail claims. It be a month until they came out.The field got a good rain, and when agent came out the canola had started to regrow. flee beetle were craze, eating most of new growth.
Agent look at field and said 1. regrowth, was not normal for un-cut canola. 2. the leaves were not normal shaped. She claim chemical damage, so not insurance. She sent away a sample to lab to test it. It came back inconclusive.
The field has spot that the crop is ok, seam more parts of the field that was only disk once, any heavy clay. and there was less to no regrowth.

in the lower lying parts were snow melt water would of stayed, and were there is an under ground spring. there is regrowth and 5-10 bu/ac crop.
canola 233, last(2nd) spray was just liberty, I had sprayed round up, prior, i washed out spray with hose, then chemical cleaner, then rinsed. I did leave sprayer full of water over night, I do not think I put liberty in until morning.
I do not see a clear sign that crop was worse were head lands were over lap.

Has anyone had canola start to regrow after it been kill by heat and no rain? Were the regrowth leaves normal shape?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
The canola wasn't killed by the heat. It just went dormant. With the rain it just started over. We see that in southern Ab. I have combined dry canola that had more flowers on it than mature pods. But the canola was dry and graded 1CC Very confusing combining day. Initially was going around the flowered areas but realized I would only get 15% of the field and exploratory trial runs through the flowered areas had the same 25 bushel canola crop.

John

#5 ·
Oh geeze Ed talk about bad luck.
I think as stated above it went dormant.
Have seen this very situation on my own broke hay ground in the past.
Moisture starved to start with.
This is why when I break a grass hay field now I summerfallow a whole summer before seeding any crop.
Not sure your location?
But in this crop district you wouldn't be eligible for crop insurance due to the late seeding date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.