The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just started to try replace our broken countershaft. There is a clutch on the drivers side of the countershaft just outside the pulley for the wide 7 band main drive belt. Can anyone tell me how to get this clutch off? There is a ring of allen head cap bolts and 3 larger bolts with spring washers which we removed on the outside of the clutch. There are some threaded holes on the outside of the clutch that I was wondering if you put a threaded rod in to push the clutch off. Is this how you remove the clutch? Does anyone know how much torque the spring washers on the outside of the clutch are torqued to? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks SouthernSK

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joesixpack as far as the belts I was going to change the variable speed belt and the drive belt for the rotors both of which run off the side of the countershaft that broke. When you mention the main drive belt are you talking about the wide 7 v belt off the engine that drives the countershaft?

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the pulley driving the long rotor drive belt on the right side of the machine was loose and moving on the taper rings. At harvest I saw the pulley move up and down slightly at the start of harvest. I backed off the belt and the pulley did not seem sloppy. In retrospect I should have taken off the variable speed pulley to check it better. The movement on the taper ring is what I am thinking caused my countershaft to break. The only thing that holds the two inner pulley on each side of the countershaft is 4 tapper rings help tight by a bolt. If you see one of these pulleys having some up and down movement it would be wise to take the time to check to see if the tapper rings are seated right and holding the pulleys firm.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shiny to get the taper rings off you need get a pipe slightly bigger than the tapper ring and hit it with a sledge hammer. I made a pipe press to push the tapper rings in with. The pipe was not quite small enough for the tapper ring so I welded a tapper ring in the end and on the other end I welded a thick plate with a hole in the center big enough to put a 16 mm threaded rod through. The old bearings for the counter shaft have to be cut out on the one side to pull the shaft out. You will have to heat the bearings in boiling water to get them on the shaft. If you need any help over the phone just send me a pm with your phone number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.