The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post. Have been reading the forum for a couple years and thought it's about time to jump in! :)

I'm looking for a new 8" auger with mover for loading my semi's. I have got some great info from reading tons of older posts, but have a couple of questions I can't seem to find a good answer on.

My first concern is reach, and by that, I mean into the bin. I have a 41' westfeild but it is about 3' short of reaching the center of some odd ball 29' bins we have. The stopping point is when the top gear box runs into the top of the bin door. I'm guessing I need the 50 to 54' model, as the spec sheets I've seen show them much better, but I'm wondering what the best mover would be? It looks like some models tires would hit the bin before being able to use that extra reach? Any advice would be great!

Also, I know I want the biggest gas engine they offer, but was wondering about hydraulic power and an upgraded pump? I would love to be able to use a big drag on it but wouldn't want the mover hyd going too crazy. Any help would be great! Thx!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello, first post. Have been reading the forum for a couple years and thought it's about time to jump in! :)

I'm looking for a new 8" auger with mover for loading my semi's. I have got some great info from reading tons of older posts, but have a couple of questions I can't seem to find a good answer on.

My first concern is reach, and by that, I mean into the bin. I have a 41' westfeild but it is about 3' short of reaching the center of some odd ball 29' bins we have. The stopping point is when the top gear box runs into the top of the bin door. I'm guessing I need the 50 to 54' model, as the spec sheets I've seen show them much better, but I'm wondering what the best mover would be? It looks like some models tires would hit the bin before being able to use that extra reach? Any advice would be great!

Also, I know I want the biggest gas engine they offer, but was wondering about hydraulic power and an upgraded pump? I would love to be able to use a big drag on it but wouldn't want the mover hyd going too crazy. Any help would be great! Thx!
hands down meridian/sakundiak, 46 or 53' with mover on frame will leave you content, many have cheaped out and regret it. westfield and westward are cheap s..t and dealers won't even take them on trade...that's what a buddy did and now really regrets it...we have 10" 39 ft sak augers and 8" with movers and love them!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 10" would be great, but I've got a dozen of those old weststeels with the round 9-10" door chute, have to take the intake shield off the 8" just to get it in. Anyone have any info on the reach issue or the mover wheels? Thx!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
We like Dmax06 have a 8 inch Sakundiak (I believe its 41ft) ours has the Hawes mover which works slick as a whistle (wish we had done it sooner), we also use a 8inch ekay bin sweep and we have no problems as far as hydraulics. We did have to put a ball valve on the fuel line so we could shut off the fuel when we shut off the engine. The problem was, the weight of fuel from the tank would push into the engine and fill into the engine oil. There is a stop valve but after a couple years it wears and wouldn't stop the fuel anymore, so we decided that the ball valve was easier. Like others have said, I would like a 10inch but most bins wont accommodate this. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Thats a tough one, trying to reach that far into a bin as our 46 foot 8" Sakundiak with an older wheat heart mover works fine for 19' bins but the lower end hydraulic ram will hit the lower edge of a high type door opening long before the gear box would reach the door and besides the control for moving the auger is down the tube a fair ways from the gear box as well. That is the problem with a auger tube mounted control system as it can't be way way up the auger tube toward the gear box as it would be way too high if raising the auger up higher as we seem to have to do for some bins with the high type of door. Although we don't have one on our auger and maybe it wasn't available back then but I would suggest you think about getting an auger with the reverse kit on the gear box. Its not meant to unplug an auger but just to empty it down at the bottom end. With our 46' the way I have the upper end of the adjustable maximum height system ( set on the lowest height ) and the ram setting on the bottom, away from a bin if I want to empty out everything to auger some seed for example, I lower the auger all the way to the top stop, then raise the bottom end all the way and it tips up the auger higher at the intake end enough that it empties pretty good. I don't know if its possible to do that with a longer auger though.

I don't know if Sakundiak is exactly the same as it was years back but ours measures 16 feet from the bottom end up to the gear box. Obviously the effective length would be a bit less as the auger is on an angle as its in a bin. I just don't know if some of the other movers have wheels and a system that is choked up enough to the main auger axle that it allows the gear box to come right up to the bin door.

I see I am not the only one that has had fuel coming into the oil issues as I too have a ball valve after the fuel tank and also have a Golden Rod filter housing installed to get rid of water, I was always struggling with that issue until I put that filter on and can see it building up in the bowl and just drain it off.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Farmking

Would be curious if anybody has tried the new farmking 8-10". Have had sakundiak(no mover) and been good, but are approx $5k more. Motors the same and actually think the mover on the farmking maybe looks better(no experience with any of these though). Guess the wooden bearing idea on the farmking may scare me a bit.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know the sakundiak/meridian are the best, but had no trouble with the westfeild over the last 8 years and the new ones look a lot better.

- Products - Grain Augers - TFX2 80

I can tell from the specs and pictures that reach problem is much better now, looks like they moved the gear box up the tube 2 or 3'. The site says 40% better bin reach, but not sure if it's that much. As for the mover, the westfeild style is the best for me, wheels well behind the gearbox and I like controls to be access able from the bin while using the drag. Also like the frame of the mover, as on my other one, it's simple to put a platform on to keep drag with auger and extra feul.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I know the sakundiak/meridian are the best, but had no trouble with the westfeild over the last 8 years and the new ones look a lot better.

- Products - Grain Augers - TFX2 80

I can tell from the specs and pictures that reach problem is much better now, looks like they moved the gear box up the tube 2 or 3'. The site says 40% better bin reach, but not sure if it's that much. As for the mover, the westfeild style is the best for me, wheels well behind the gearbox and I like controls to be access able from the bin while using the drag. Also like the frame of the mover, as on my other one, it's simple to put a platform on to keep drag with auger and extra feul.
If you liked the Westfield than you could also look at the Wheatheart, same tube but cleaner design than the Westfield. The R series also has more capacity than previous models.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Sakundiak has the longest reach of augers I have used. It has a wheatland? mover on it. 2 wheels on mover and hyd motors drive the main auger wheels. Reaches center of 18' bins. Now, if I remembered the length. 42'? Landlords auger that he bought used a couple years ago. He must have 15-20 augers around. Most purchased at auctions that he has plans for ;)

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I looked at the link to Westfield and the mover they show looks a lot like our wheatheart mover, the undercarriage, ram location and the controls with the handle to leverage on to guide the auger along and that makes sense given they are in partnership with them. For our 8x46 auger its works good but I can see if one has a longer larger diameter auger that is heavy it would become hard to manhandle and the steering type wheel setup would be nicer in some ways. I too use the undercarriage frame for carrying the hopper and throw in a jerry can, shovel etc into the hopper. One thing about the little wheels that swivel around in a 360 degree rotation, the auger end can be up in the air and can shove the auger sideways which would never be possible with the steered wheels. For instance we have some bins with the round aeration tube and I have to lift the auger up after using the bin sweep on one side and then to get it set on the other side to continue and that means shoving the auger sideways without moving it in or out of the bin. I'm sure every mover system has its good and bad points but I don't mind to use what we have and yes, I can reach for the handle and move the auger in or out from the bin if its in the 19' bin, turn off the auger rotation with the clutch etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see the westfield and wheatheart are the same, with the exception of the A frame being round pipe on the westfeild and square tube on wheatheart. Can't tell if the motor mount is the same or not. Both augers are made at the same address in a small town in Manitoba, so I think they just offer a tubing over pipe frame between brands. I much prefer square tubing. Looks better, but should be stronger than round pipe. Guessing one company bought the other out or they merged.

I did decide on the 51', as it has 16'10" reach from gear box compared to 12'9" on the 41'.

Both movers have their ups and downs, but the westfeild type is best for my scenario. I'm still strong enough to "make" it work for now. Hopefully in a few years, I can just make my boy do it! :D

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Quick question: I am assuming that the bins you guys have up north are flat bottom round bins like we have here. Do you not have aeration floors in them? If so why not have an auger under the floor to the outside of the bin with a power sweep? Or are these hopper bins you are trying to reach the center of? If you don't have aeration floors, why not? Not trying to be a smartass, but just curious.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I haven't messed with either a westfield or wheatheart in the gas engine mounted type unit and honestly haven't looked close enough to know how its system works compared to our Sakundiak. Hands down I like the square tubing of our Sakundiak over round tubing because of mounting fuel tanks or making up a bracket to fasten the hydraulic filter etc, I just think its a lot easier to work with in that way. I might be off slightly but I think our Wheatheart mover and Sakundiak auger date back to 2001 so its had a bit of use and I would be so lost without it. All the struggling with a board on the axle of the auger used before to shove into a bin, slipping and falling on the ice and having a frick of a time pulling it by hand to get into a bin or under a hopper with any snow/ruts etc by ones self. I have ours chained up and since it normally never leaves the yard I just leave it chained up all year around. When you get your auger AB,Can I'd suggest you mount up a light on the gear box or just in front of it if you are squeezing into the big diameter bins you have and another up top near the spout shining down into the inside of the trailer and then independent switches for the lights. I spent too many winters struggling in the dark and attempting to use a flashlight, I was shocked how well I can see with it now ... should have done that years ago !. I never priced out a light kit, just did my own thing for how I wanted it to suit.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
All the augers today seem to be well built. On my 10 inch auger I installed an Ekay slim fit and it allows the 10 inch auger to fit in the same bins as an 8 inch auger with cage. For the old bins with the small round chutes can you just hire a welder for part of a day and enlarge the openings, or buy a retro fit kit from a company like Rockyford Steel.

I bought a 60 foot 8 inch auger years ago for emptying large bins and it works great because the reach into the bin is so long and it can also be used to fill the odd bin for small loads. Only problem is that the auger bounces around a lot when going down the road.

Augers are so expensive today, you should do everything you can to make a 10 inch auger work. It will take you well into the future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey ctpusa, all my bins are round, flat bottom and on cement floors. No aeration floors, the weather in my area gives us ample time to dry in field. Some neighbors have a couple aeration bins for emergency year, but most don't here. A lot of guys here do have circle kings, or power sweeps but for the extra $1800 per bin X 25-30 bins, I'll gladly do the extra work and keep the money.

I agree on the square tubing northern farmer. Way better for mounting extras on! And I know what you mean on the times before the mover, I only got my first mover model in 07. Still got 3 7" augers with briggs and straton! :eek:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I agree with Northern Farmer, lights are really handy, especially when its dark so early. Our Sakundiak came with the light package, wow, great idea. I also like the switch for starting and stopping the auger, it is all inside the bin stuck to the auger with a magnet, another great idea. Although the best idea, of course, is the hopper bottom bin, but they are pricey!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.