The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to upgrade my 625f to a 630fd on my 9670. How much better will I like the draper over the flex? Pick around 1800ac of beans and 1200ac of wheat every year. Getting started in beans now and its got me wanting one now that a few more are around my area. And honestly how much earlier or later will you be able to start/stop picking with draper over flex? Keep hearing you can pick later without them dragging up?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Your consistent combine feeding will make u wonder why you haven't done it sooner.. The larger head will also help.
If the money is to large, put an air real on the flex platform... An air real on a flex platform will perform very similarly to a flex draper, but it still won't feed the same.

For the money and the market the Ag industry is going into, for me its a no... Get the 35 foot flex and an air reel and you will still save money..

Also 30 feet you will be carting the head everywhere if you don't now.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
My vote would be for a larger flex head. We made the move from a draper to striclty a 635F this fall, and while there was a few limitations, it functioned well overall. There is less to go wrong on an auger, and they are less investment.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Don't you have significantly higher losses with the auger head over the draper? I'm talking soybeans looking like a 3-5 bushell advantage with the draper.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Im looking to upgrade my 625f to a 630fd on my 9670. How much better will I like the draper over the flex? Pick around 1800ac of beans and 1200ac of wheat every year. Getting started in beans now and its got me wanting one now that a few more are around my area. And honestly how much earlier or later will you be able to start/stop picking with draper over flex? Keep hearing you can pick later without them dragging up?

Thanks in advance.
I will give you my experience. I run Agco machines but colors don't matter here. A cutter bar is a cutter bar, it will shake a bean plant and some beans will fall on the ground flex or draper. However a air system may blow that loose bean in the head. As far as going earlier or later, there is no difference, both style cutter bars have to sit on the ground and drag and flex with whatever is in it's way. Both styles you can adjust ground pressure to do the job. Where the difference is it's in the feeding of the combine. A draper will feed the combine more even which will result in less loss out of the processor. I have never had a problem with slugging a chopper and rotor until I have ran my draper. With this being said I do believe that feeding the combine is no longer an issue with a draper head, the limits are now behind the head because of the smooth feeding of the head. Capacity may or may not have increased with my draper. I do believe that if bean stems are dry that a 30ft draper will preform like a 25ft auger head. My conclusion is that an auger head with an air system will preform equal to that of the same size of draper in good dry stem beans. If the stems are green a draper will feed the combine more even then resulting in lower processor loss.
The draper will weigh less and take less horsepower than an auger with air.
My conclusion would be a 30ft auger head with air reel that sells for $25000 would equal a 35ft draper head and no air system for $50000.
Take your pick, resale may be an important factor. The draper is king right now and I think it may stay that way.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Don't you have significantly higher losses with the auger head over the draper? I'm talking soybeans looking like a 3-5 bushell advantage with the draper.
Should have included that I have an air system. Losses are close to nil on the head unless the beans are too short.

·
Registered
735 Posts
There is zero advantage at the cutterbar. The combine may save a bushel or 2 due to the more even feeding with the draper however it is the same cutterbar and same real with both style heads. Both will loose beans.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My vote would be for a larger flex head. We made the move from a draper to striclty a 635F this fall, and while there was a few limitations, it functioned well overall. There is less to go wrong on an auger, and they are less investment.
Draper is great until u start having problems with roller bearings, canvasses running crooked, rail wear from canvasses. etc. Can eat up lots of precious time fixing. On the plus side feeding is much smoother with no slugging. No wrapping around auger in tough conditions.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
The cutter bar might have zero advantage, but for sure there are some beans the auger and it's fingers kick out that a draper will never do. The feeding is so much better when tougher it's not even comparable. Once our auger header is a few year old it will be replaced by a draper. In wheat the draper runs circles around an auger, and it's noticeable in beans as well Yes, it's a huge investment, and yes the auger platforms have got it done for years...but once you have a draper, you will never go back (without a fight and shedding a few tears at least).
That is feeling also. You will always get loss off the cutterbar, can't really prevent that. It is the auger and the fingers that are kicking out the beans. With the draper there are no beans hitting the windshield, no massive pile on top of the feeder house. That is where I feel the 3-5 advantage kicks in. For easy figuring say you cut 1000 acres and saved 2 bushel on the low end. That is 2000 extra bushel to sell at $9 that equals $18000. Sure the draper will cost $30k more, but in 2 years you recovered that money, in 4 the whole head is paid for. Just my experience but the draper will swallow that auger head. Couple those two and I feel that is why the auger heads are quickly becoming obsolete.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Does anyone know how the draper cuts vs the flex plateform. Deere has had the best cut that I have seen.

If your running lots of wheat, are you further ahead buying a head specific for wheat, a 30 foot ridged platform to keep some of the acres off.
If we had not had a specific issue with our flex platform during harvest, I would still be running a flex head with air reel.
But after having a McDon, I will never own a brand specific head again.
Deere does have the best cut around...

Does anyone know if the Deere draper cuts like the Deere flex platform?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys I went ahead and got the 630FD and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Its not like i got a new head, Its like I got a whole new combine. They feed soooo much better and you cant even tell that they are going through machine. Picking green stalks and the beans are checking 12% so we're rolling. Been picking the green stalks running 5mph in 60bu beans. Combine is running so much smoother and can really tell im picking way more beans in a day. Not just the extra 5 ft, but the feeding in general make for higher ground speed. Cant tell the extra 5 foot one bit. It actually feels like we went down in header size compared to the 625F auger head. Never knew how much better I would love this head. Definitely will not regret spending the money on this rig.

Anyone debating whether to get a draper or not, Im telling you first hand-Spend the money and get it, you will not regret it one bit and be wishing you had've had it long before now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A little off topic but I would highly recommend guys that are having horsepower and feeding troubles with auger heads and looking to upsize their machines, to go out and try a draper on your current machine. The draper will make a huge difference and probably make you enjoy your current machine alot more. We love our 9670 but had looked into a s670 but after running this new head, we'll def keep running this setup until we just have to trade up. Great combination that works excellent in my operation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Isn't it crazy what a difference a draper can make?!? You are right, it can almost be like an entirely different machine. Glad you are happy with the investment...it's a big one, but man does it ever make life easier. The capacity increase is amazing.
Haha yes it is ridiculous. Never would have thought it could have made such a big difference but wow is it amazing.

·
Super Moderator
5,054 Posts
Header (front) more important than realized sometimes!

Interesting header week.:)
5 different combines, 4 different headers.
Standing (sorta) canola.
One header basically unuseable. That particular header didn't have Auto Header Height control either.
One header could only work good in one direction, fair in opposite direction very poor in crossways angle of attack on the lean.
Those two headers mainly suffered lack of upper cross augers (UCA).
Another header didn't have full length UCA and that give a bit of trouble but feeding still wasn't stellar.

Setup is key, match header equipment to any crop that maybe harvested.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.