The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So started on the canola today. not happy with the results so far

First of all I am having trouble feeding, I have adjusted the front drum from setting 3 to 4 now five, it seems to be better now but where do you guys set yours?

Once I get the canola in I am having trouble keeping it, it seems to be over trashing. I first set the concave at one inch rotors at 650 fan at 500, top sieve at .5 inch bottom at .25, presieve closed. I have tried speeding up the rotors and opening the concave, made it worse, tried increasing fan speed no luck.

The only thing I havn't tried is putting in the filler plates, I think I will try that in morning,

The canola is quite dry and breaks up very easy I am at a loss, any suggestions? My dad is the goto guy for setting the combines, even he is at a loss for suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
slow the rotors down more. My book says 600 I think. Top sieve at .35 and bottom at .12, 2nd notch on the presieve. Make sure you have your beater grate blockoff plate in as well to keep from overloading the sieve. Concave extensions in the out position.

If its dry, you won't have any issue threshing (the feeder chain is probably sufficient) so open the concaves and slow the rotors as much as possible while keeping capacity. Does it work better when the straw gets tough in the evenings?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I have a beater grate block off plate Andy. Is that an optional thing? I am a little worried about running the rotors slower than 600, The widest the concave can be is 1.5 inches right? Have you ever tried running with your filler plates in?

Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
The plate may be in already. Most come installed I think into Western Canada, but it might have been taken out. Often, when I am trying to do peas and anything with a wide concave setting I will check where my separator grates end up and set the concave to that level. This keeps the separator grate from becoming a 'step' that the crop mat has to negotiate and causes straw damage. Wherever that setting is at would be the max I'd open the concave (plus, you want a little extra downward travel for if you plug up).

I ran with the filler plates in this year on my poor canola because I just didn't care enough to take them out. Probably lost some capacity, but not a big deal. I think that may help though -gets lots of the pods and seeds out and down before any real threshing starts so you will have less going through the rotors and possibly out the back.

Are you having rotor loss or sieve loss or a terrible sample?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The beater block off plate is a must in dry canola. It will solve most of the problems that you are having.

What are the odds the dealer will have one?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help guys.. will let you know how
I make out.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just sieve loss. Sorry missed this reply

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,If your getting loads of trash in your sample have you blocked off the rakes that are bolted to to the back of the top seives, if the rakes are not blocked off all the trash will fall through. There is a different type of extension that can be bolted on to replcae the rakes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can just cut two pieces of cardboard into the right size and punch holes in it for zip ties, stuff it under the rakes and zip tie them in place.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup have the cardboard in, the only thing we haven't tried is the beater grate cover, will pick one up this AM and try.

What are acceptable losses ehind the combine and where do you guys set your sensitivity on your GLM for the sieves.

am using a 36 ft swather, and we put a one square foot tray down as the combine goes by, we are getting approx. 300-400 seeds in this catch, does anyone know what this would convert to as far as losses lbs/acre? to me it seems high, but maybe I am too fussy.

Maybe I don't have a setting problem. The book does not indicate what this would be for canola, the closest is says is for Flax at 104 seeds per square ft = 1 bus per acre on 30' swath.

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
Are you dropping the straw/chaff or spreading it during this test?
Dropping it and using a full width catch pan is really the only way to get a good feel for loss location.
Your header/drop ratio is about 7 to 1, if you take 300 to 400 and divide by 7 your talking 50 seeds +/- over general field area, 1/3 or so bushel, probably livable.

But if your getting those losses while spreading, yes, that's big time losses.
In my canola this year it would be 20% of the crop.

Don

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don....We are spreading and chopping everything. I agree these are unacceptable losses.

Here is what happened today...the beater grate cover never showed up.
so we went to the other extreme, and sped the rotors up 1150rpm fan at 800rpm concave at 3/4", top seive at .65" to me doesn't sound like a canola setting, but it is working, losses are now 25-50 seeds per square ft.

The reasoning behind this is the pods and other chaff were too big to be blowing out or to fall through the top sieve, so by speeding up and tightening up we are chewing up more and creating smaller pieces that are now being blown out.

We are still going to put the beater grate cover in when we get it tommorrow.

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
Sounds like your gaining, good deal.
Funny how sometimes one has to play with settings that really shouldn't help at all, but do.
I guess it just teaches one not to fear odd ball settings.

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts