The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1996 Hesston 8100 with a 21ft shiftable table. Having a hard time cutting canola and making a decent swath. Seems to plug up in lodged and slightly leaning canola. When its standing straight up it can cut almost as fast as you can go. Any tips or suggestions making it cut better in lodged and down canola? Seems to be too bushy to get through the throat. Lots of plugging between the reel and back.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I Feel for you, I just traded up my 8100 over the summer for that same reason, and the fact I spent more time fixin the POS than swathing. I found the only thing that worked well was cut as High as you can and go into the lean. Most of it is leaning to the east so I would try and go E-W. I some times had good success N-S but had to start on E side of the crop. Maybe try to put your real one hole forward to give more clearance between the table and it might help also. I am sure you tried just about everything but I never could get it to swath real great. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have an 8820 Case and the 21' heavy duty header. I think it's identical to yours. I run my reel about 2/3 of the way ahead so it's centered over the cutterbar. Run it a little slower than ground speed. The less I use the reel the better job it seems to leave. Lots of spots it just tickles the top of the crop. It only struggles on the outside rounds where you can't pick an angle to cut it at. Like others have said cut into the lean. Most of mine this year was leaning to the east. Cutting at a NW-SE angle worked good. Just had to start in the NE corner.

I have the chains for setting the header angle shortened up all the way and run the canvasses fairly fast.

Where it's swirled and lodged looking like a bunch of stooks it can be fun. I know the discbine will eat that like candy. ;)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moved the reel forward and it made a new swather out of it. Don't really want have to trade it yet need a couple more years out of it yet. Might look at adding hyd reel fore/aft.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Question on the 8100; I bought one this year and replaced the canvasses. I noticed one of the drive rollers had rubber on it and the other didn't. Are these rollers supposed to have rubber on them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts