The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I seen a show the other night on National Geographic Channel about the East Molines Harvestworks Factory. It showed how they build the combines. The show was talking about a big harvester out of Bridgeport Neb. The name was Wright Trucking and they had at least 10 sts combines. They followed them thru the whole show and it showed how an STS is built from the ground up. I had to stay up to about 2 in the morning to watch it but it was worth it. I bet yall could find the same show on dvd by going to the National Geographic Channel web site and probably buy it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I did see the show and I thought some of the info was a little dramatized. I could be wrong but I didnt think the STSs 9 litre ran 465 HP or that it could cut over 25O acres a day. Sounded a little Hollywood to me. They didnt cover much in the hour I had hoped for just the header, bullet rotor, engine, cab components, few hydraulics basics. Nothing on the shoe or that it takes air fans to clean the grain. The graphics were cool. One of the bosses in the factory stated that the capacity of the grain tank was of size that once full doubled the weight of the combine? I cant remember the capacity,, 300, 350BU?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Itwas a little dramatized like you said but When I was on harvest in west Texas, we could cut 1200acres in a day with 6 machines with 36' drapers. That had to be two full sections to cover that much in a day. If they were spread apart very far then we couldnt cut that much in a day but like I said if the feilds were side by side and were 600acres squares, then you can eat some wheat. Good show though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I actually did cut that many acres once in a day with 9650 walkers. It was only 20bu wheat with grain cart and 36' MacDons. We got an early start between 8 and 9 that morning and ran until about midnight and had to move to different fields a couple of times and take the headers off. That day we cut 500 acres with two machines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I caught the last 10 or 15 minutes of this show also. Thought it was pretty cool that they had Wright's on there as thier main place where they keep thier combine's in Sidney, Nebraska is only 30 miles from my place. Pretty impressive every winter when they have all of thier new combines sitting outside! As for the 250 acres/day I bet you could get close to that with one big machine with a 36' header not stopping and working a long day in not very good wheat. We have a neighbor who has a 2388 Case IH and he says he can cut 160 acres in 9 nine hours with a 30' header if the wheat is poor. Good show I thought!

Pete

·
Registered
16 Posts
we could cut 250 ac a day easy in Pierre south Dakota.I did it with a 480 cat and 9750 sts's with 36' mac don's it's not that hard in 35 to 45 bu ac wheat you have to push it and keep her full all day long . the good thing was we never had to change fields we ran ten machines out of ten about four of us could do it and still do a good job . we made the other guys pick up our corners and open wash outs .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts