The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my 2388 lights to all hid's is this possible and which ones take what conversions ? aren't some of them high low beam lights? Thanks, approx. cost to convert all of them on top of cab ?

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I just put some in our 2188. I know the center two on mine used the 9004 bulb. those are the two I would do for sure, and I think I'm going to do all six on mine. Someone had already converted the socket on the outer four on our combine to use the 9005 bulbs. I don't know for sure what bulb the 2388 uses, hopefully someone else will help you there. I bought the HID bulbs on Ebay for appx 70-100 dollars. make sure you're getting a true HID conversion kit with the ballast box and bulb. I got the 6000K temp lights. Don't know if the 6000K is the way to go or not, but you will love HID over the halogen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you can cross this bulb,base from your 2388 IH it may work.I don't think this lamp,base is a standard lamp(like,for 9003,4.5,6,H1,3,7,11).You don't need to get all 6 hid,that would take alot of power for start up to work.After startup the power goes way down to 35W.You could run all six hid,but i think you would have to get larger wires(power)or more wires for starting all these lights. Two hid will out do four standard lights anyway.

IH part #'s 4 2388(look these up in ih parts to see pic's)
353657A1 HEADLIGHT
137827A1 SOCKET, LAMP
137828A1 BULB
137823A1 BULB
138224A1 LAMP, WORK Drive, RH
183161A1 LAMP, WORK

It may take less time to just buy two Jw hid's from Shoup like someone did on this forum

The Kid

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just got some of them lights from MobilHID and put 12 volts to one of them They seem very very Bright for only $225 a light I think its the way i would go! Mount just 2 of them on the mirror arms and go instead of buying case's 1500$ kit

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 4 regular halogen work lights in the cab roof (center and outer lights) have connectors that will plug directly into the HID ballast. The 2 inner lights have a high/low bulb with a different connector and that connector will not plug into an HID ballast. If you replace all 6 lights with HID lights, you need to keep in mind that the inner lights are aimed higher for distance and those lights if you have HID will be blinding to on coming traffic while roading. The connectors required for the HID ballasts are available in most auto parts stores, they come with pigtails and can be spliced into the high bean circuit. The new 88 series combines have a 6 HID light option available. There is a dedicated extra connector in the roof just for the center HID lights. This connector is tied to the high bean circuit for the halogen lights, therefore, then the combine is on the road with the hazard lights on, the high bean circuit is disable which turns off the center HID lights. The wiring to the roof will turn on the HID lights but because of the high start up current, the fuses will have to be upgraded to 30 amp fuses. Also, if you install HID lights into the current roof light housing, expect the plastic to turn yellow in time, reducing the amount of light output. The CASEIH HID lights that mount in the roof have glass lenses to correct this problem. The optional CASEIH HID lights for the 88 series also have a special lens for the inner lights to get more distance using a narrow flood lens instead of a wide flood lens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess i was wrong about using 6 hid's on combine's.That sure must be bright having 6 of them out there!!!The only bad part about it is IH's list price for 88's and 20's
2 hid four $1461
6 hid four $3196

1 - 7 of 7 Posts