The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure this has maybe been answered before, but i looked back and couldn't find it. Can i put any HID lights in my 2188? What are my options? Thought some time ago in a posting someone mentioned going to a parts store and buying a bulb? Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Find out what bulb you have and call clifford @ MobileHid.com for a kit.The kit includes 2 bulbs and 2 ballast for under $250. Go with the 50w 4300k kit in your flood lamp,i'm very happy with mine!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Go to your favorite auto salvage yard and pull the headlight lenses out of a mid 90s GM car (I found a '95 Cutlas). On the back of the plastic lens is a nice little metal socket the bulb locks into. These sockets fit perfectly in the back of the outer 4 lenses of the 2100 series combines, just drill two 1/8" holes and screw them fast. Now you can go to Ebay and buy HID headlight kits to fit your sockets for about $60 for a pair. Make sure to get the plugs for the bulbs from the car also. TORQUE

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Can HID's be put in the center two lights? What is the difference with the lenses being a little different and such?

·
Registered
90 Posts
The center 2 lights use different lenses because they have high/low beams. I think you could put the HIDs in them like the outer ones by grinding the back of the lens down some or just buy 2 more outer lenses (they would be floods then) for that position. This is on the 2100 series combines, some of the 2300 series (maybe all) have different lenses that HIDs may fit directly into. You could change to the 2300 lenses but it's 6 x $40 plus 2 x $30 for the biezels. TORQUE

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is what I did on our 2377, it cost a little more than converting the current lights over to HID but I can take these lights off and use them on our planter tractor next spring. I bought a pair of Speaker brand HID floodlights from Sloan Express and put them on an angle iron bracket that clamps to the mirror mounts using a pair of 1 1/2" muffler clamps and then they plug into the factory harness in place of the outside halogen cab lights. In this you can see the difference having the HIDs make and in dusty conditions it's nice having them away from the cab a little bit so they aren't lighting up the dust your trying to look through.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Wow anteater, I've never seen that good of a video at night. Those must really be throwing out a lot of light. Your mounting idea sounds pretty slick. Would you mind taking a couple pics of the bracket and the wiring?

-Lance

·
Registered
73 Posts
The center Hi/Low housings are the easiest one's to convert on the 2188s because you can get a 9004 hi/low kit and pop them right in. No need to modify the housing at all. You need to find a power source for these kits so if you take off the sun visor and then the headliner and you can use the junction box there for your 12 volt power. If you want buy the housings for the 2188 and early 2388 to make it easier to convert to HID make sure you get the latest ones that will take the 9005 bulb and then you can just pop the the bulb into these housings. There is some wiring that needs to be done but it will probably be better anyway as it seem like the older design socket is pron to intermittent connection problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oops I forgot a picture of the bracket. Here it is, nothing fancy and the wiring just runs along the mirror mount and has a male spade plug on each wire so they can plug into the factory harness. These are the same lights CNH uses on the MX Magnums and STX tractors and I'll be putting them on our MX-240 next spring to spread their cost out over the whole year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts