The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how guys are liking these types of sprayers (case/new holland, and brandt) want wind screens as well so i know for sure can only go 100' with the CNH brand....not sure on the brandt. But if brandt builds their sprayers like they build augers i don't even want to look at one. Is the autoboom fast enough to keep up in the hills? Norac or touchdown wheels? How fast are you guys spraying with these units? hoping to go at least 8-10 mph. Thanks for your input....and also for the flack i know i'm gonna get from you brandt guys lol.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried air induction nozzles and weren't impressed with coverage....had too many escapes

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
Running an 82' SprayAir High clearance pulltype here....

If you have a FWA tractor, they will do anything a high clearance pulltype will.

I have a Kee autorate system, Raven Envizio with autoboom controls, and auto-hight controls setup on mine. Just love it - even more than before with a manual setup!

Only bad part of the unit now, is it just took me 6 hrs to re-wire another tractor to run the darned thing. Lots and lots of wires & boxes. Wayyy too many wires & boxes... I'm traumatized by wires and boxes now...

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
Oops.

This:
If you have a FWA tractor, they will do anything a high clearance pulltype will.

Should read this:
If you have a FWA tractor, they will do anything a high clearance SP unit will.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wiring is fun christian.....if you have the time....and that is exactly the problem, there is never time lol. good to hear that you like the pulltype sprayers. Have a flexicoil 67xl wheel boom right now and looking to get more capacity. spraying at 6.5 mph right now....was looking at getting a sp for the speed but tank size is the limiting factor there. Thought the high clearance pulltype would go about the same speed...then i saw Don spraying like a speed demon in his Dear deere rant. haha

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
They will? Can I come watch you spray fungicide on your tasseled corn? Or will you post a youtube vid?

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
Well, true, wiring is fun if you have time... unless it's cause your main spraying tractor went down, and it's 33C outside + Humidex making it feel like 45C
It's settled, when I put up a shop, it'll have A/C!

I spray around 8 MPH - the limiting factor for me is sanity... lots of my fields are small, irregular so going fast is hard. This spring i was doing a pre-seed burnoff @ 2gal/acre at 13mph - was a nice, flat, 140ac square quarter... On the SA system, you gotta be careful with speed as it affects the quality of the job (more fluid to atomize = more velocity needed).. on other HCPTs you wouldn't have that issue. The suspension systems on the pulltypes is no different than an SP. I can't speak for other brands, but the Hardi and SprayAir both have a pendelum type boom and they'll follow the ground pretty well. The new Tridents are really slick booms, btw
Make sure you have the hydraulic power... 9GPM for the product pump + 10GPM (at least) for the electric over hydraulic boom controls.

bent: in the context of Western Canada, we don't grow corn
But... if you want... give me $2,000, I'll buy 1.5 meter drop tubes for my Belarus and we'll have 7' clearance. There's videos on youtube of that type of configuration.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Neil:
Just wondering what problems have you had with your brandt augers ? I might be in the market for a new 13" soon . Would appreciate your opinion , Might be worth while posting a new thread under grain handling .
As for myself I run a 100 ' Brandt , stripped the wind cones (dust & dirt collector ), Run 8.5 - 12 mph depending on field conditions , Microtrak 9000 controller ,Farmer gps guidance system . It's worked ok My biggest problem was the electric over hydraulic block, it is open to the elements , moisture raised heck with the solenoids . After changing 2 out and tearing the block down, clean & re-assemble with di-electric grease haven't had any issues plus I added a mud flap to keep the block covered . our land is fairly flat can't comment on height control . My main thought is if you want to apply fungicide , preharvest , Reglone ,or late in-crop insecticide Self propelled is the way to go in my opinion .

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what's the advantage to the high clearance pull type over the wheeled boom ones? Is it the ease of storage or the way the boom unfolds in the field (less tramping) that makes them popular?

If you're in the market to upgrade your sprayer I'd suggest a high clearance SP one . You don't have to buy a new one or a top of the line model if cash is tight. Your options are limitless with the sp sprayer....plus...you have the convenience of owning one and not having to rely on a custom applicator.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi for the cnh sprayers you can actually go upto 134ft with the suspended boom. I run a flexi coil 67 suspended boom and travel 8-9mph but could go faster if needed, I think the benifit to a suspended boom is the ability to travel faster then a wheeled boom sprayer, also less trampling easier unfolding and can store inside smaller space.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i can't comment on the swing augers as i have never owned one (have heard a few neighbours complain about changing out gearboxes at least once a season though) But we have a 7X41....not sure of year, but after rebuilding gearbox 3 times in one year, we took the tires, spout and engine off and parked it in the back of the yard. The sad thing is it is pretty well a new auger. The balancing is horrible as well....they have 2 half inch plates to help solve the auger tipping over when you close the flow of grain off, but then the end is so heavy to lift you could throw out your back. Never have, and never will like the brandt augers.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a little worried about how the auto height will work after a few years of service....too much electrical to go wrong, thus inevitable down time during busy season. Maybe a 120'-134' wheel boom will work better?

·
Registered
417 Posts
.....forget pulltype's, SP is the way too go,
>>>and no pull type can go where a high clearance can go... there is a huge difference between weight on your back or dragging weight behind you... this advantage is amplified when spraying conditions become intimidating...

throw a good set of nozzles on the unit and you will be smiling with your decision...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I will disagree with that comment. I have a brant SB4000 with a 90' boom pulled with my 450 quadtrac. I can go where you can't walk and leave no ruts as the tracks don't spin only the cart tires sink. I have air bubble jet nozzles 5&10 gallon along with the wind cones. I slow down to 10 mph to open up the field to run the nozzles at 20 psi. In field i spray at 12.5 at 40 psi. It is a 2004 model and the inner rh boom cracked this year. I am torn as to purchase a sp sprayer, as in crop the brandt and quadtrac works well and i hire the plane for fungicides. This means there are no ruts for zero till and crop loss due to wheels tracks. Remember the most important thing with any sprayer is the tip, getting chemical on the plant.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
depending on what tratcor you are using u can pretty well go anywhere unless u hit an alkilie spot...neighbor with with case sp asked me to do some custom spraying for him because it was too wet for him. i would go with low drift nozzles and ditch the wind screens

·
Registered
417 Posts
I hardly believe your comment, lets be realistic here... ok..pull type's... In ideal conditions they work. BUT ...There is a reason the Custom OPerators phone starts ringing the second conditions get BAD....

....... Once you run a SP, you'll never go back to a pull type...

·
Super Moderator
3,971 Posts
I see two downsides to pull type sprayers.
1. Trying to match tracking with tractor
2. At speed that tail wagging the dog syndrome. (weaving).

I also agree once you had SP it's unlikely you'll go back but on the other hand I like the much larger tank than most SP's have that Brandt uses.
And a SP sprayer can, while let's see, oh yeah, spray.
Lot's of uses for the tractor that pulls the pull type.

Don

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
there is no doubt sp sprayers are faster and can be used for dessicating etc....that is why custom operaters use them. all i am saying is that in extreme conditions with the right tractor pt sprayers can go where sps can't

1 - 20 of 43 Posts