The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sort of hours can u run a combine too? My 1688 is now at 3000 and over the years I really haven't had to do a lot of work too it. I know a couple of guys with 5000 +hour 1680's and its hard to believe what can fail at those hours. I think you will be doing a lot of welding on an IH if you try to run it too long...

Whats the most anyone has run a combine too? I am always amazed at some of the industrial equipment. they can run those machines for
60,000 hours.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
It seems many combines last at least 6,000 to 7,000 hours. I have seen a few go up to and even beyond 10,000 hours. The 10,000-houred combine is rare. I have no doubt that more could achieve this by not only just proper care and maintenance, but also the owner's willingness to just hang onto them, until they finally do "give up the ghost."

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know of 3 high hour machines at the dealership i work at a 1460 with over 8000 hrs that still cuts over 1000 acres a year a 97 model 2188 with 5200 hrs that cuts over 3000 acres and my 1660 will turn 6000 hrs this fall still with original engine

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Quote:That is true, Doorknob, but I also know just how much of Hagen's combine has also been replaced over the years.

Oh absolutley Combiness. I wont dispute that in the least. However, it does show that a machine can go a long time with proper care and maintainence. It may not pencil for everyone to keep a machine and replace parts like Jon and Don, but some folks do seem to fall into the trap about having to have the new machine cause it looks cool. The Hagen brothers run a first class show IMO.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Yes they do, Doorknob. I truly believe about the only thing actually original from Day One on Jon Hagen's old combine, is the frame itself. I think I read where he even added another engine once, too, but am not really sure. The post I'm referring to on Ag Talk, was read over a year ago, too.

Yes, Doorknob, I do agree wholeheartedly, that most combines will by far, outlive their "expected" life projected by dealers and salesmen, just with much care and maintenance. I know I've been poked fun at for preaching about this, but it's still true.
I really do love the older combines. They are simpler, mechanical which still makes them by far, more sustainable than all these with their high-minded computers and electronics.

Now don't get me wrong, I DO love technology and am one of the first to want to see machines like a driverless combine and other future or futuristic improvements. They most definitely have their place, but for what I'm not only used to operating and can afford in my own custom harvesting operation as a start-up, I must stay with older, but sound machines and what I myself, can do all or most of, in the way of repairs.

Yes, Jon could probably have replaced his combine 2-3 times over by now, but he loves his old 1480 and there's nothing wrong with that. Also by doing what he's done, he's basically replaced it, all right, but one pice at a time, at a huge saving of capital investment over time--as opposed to a lump sum of even buying a "cheap" other bine, and STILL having to put work into and work through that machine's quirks and malfunctions.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Quote:Yes they do, Doorknob. I truly believe about the only thing actually original from Day One on Jon Hagen's old combine, is the frame itself. I think I read where he even added another engine once, too, but am not really sure. The post I'm referring to on Ag Talk, was read over a year ago, too.

Yes, Doorknob, I do agree wholeheartedly, that most combines will by far, outlive their "expected" life projected by dealers and salesmen, just with much care and maintenance. I know I've been poked fun at for preaching about this, but it's still true.
I really do love the older combines. They are simpler, mechanical which still makes them by far, more sustainable than all these with their high-minded computers and electronics.

Now don't get me wrong, I DO love technology and am one of the first to want to see machines like a driverless combine and other future or futuristic improvements. They most definitely have their place, but for what I'm not only used to operating and can afford in my own custom harvesting operation as a start-up, I must stay with older, but sound machines and what I myself, can do all or most of, in the way of repairs.

Yes, Jon could probably have replaced his combine 2-3 times over by now, but he loves his old 1480 and there's nothing wrong with that. Also by doing what he's done, he's basically replaced it, all right, but one pice at a time, at a huge saving of capital investment over time--as opposed to a lump sum of even buying a "cheap" other bine, and STILL having to put work into and work through that machine's quirks and malfunctions.

Agreed whole heartedly. I too favor the older machines, but am glad to see the latest technology in the field.

I think something else about the Hagens and many others that run the same ld machine for many years, is they know their machine. And yes, Jon has replaced the engine with a 466. He also has installed a red rooster propane system.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i had a customer tell me he firgured 10$ a ac. & that seems pretty close on the ticket's i see. sounds like other colors cost more but if you keep on top of things its not to bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Combiness and Doorknob. My faithfull old 1480 is running on engine #3, It wore out the first 436,overheated and cracked the second and is now powered by a 466B at a tad over 16,000 hrs. It is a first year model(78) ,the 293rd 1480 built so it lacks some of the monitors and features of the later machines,but it suites my needs.
We have scaled back our farming operation to 1800 acres so the combine which has had many modifications to increase it's capacity over stock is all we need. Yes, most every part except cab and frome have been rebuilt or replaced several times,but they still make the parts and it all bolts on. It helps that the AF guys stayed with the same basic design during the 30 year run of the AF combine and any updated parts even from a 2588 bolt right up to my first year 1480. It has been a faithfull menber of the family for a long time,and I just cant dump a good relative like that. ;-) Jon Hagen

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just proves that a well taken care off machine will run for aslong as you want. Had a wrecker tow the old 9000 ford truck last week and the wrecker have a late 90's Pete with 2.3million kms on it. Original everything but they did do all the bearings in the tranny at 1.1million because they heard one little sound. Just goes to show.

Take care,

Nathan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts