The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 1680 with 3800 hours to replace my two L2's. It is real clean with a lot of updates. What should I pay attention to when looking this machine over? The sheet metal is straight, auger flighting good, Cummins engine overhauled due to a bad liner, etc. Overall it looks really good. Cut mostly wheat, beans, and a little corn. Almost 4000 hours would be a lot on a conventional machine, but what what about on a rotary? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the info, Jeff.
It's a 90 model, specialty rotor,short seive. It does have the updated fan. The hanger bushings/arms have been replaced. The guy put 2188 arms on it-said they are stronger. The wood blocks have been replaced, also. I'll have to check the other things. I don't know much about these combines. I ran my cousin's 1660 in beans last year and after two days, knew my next combine was gonna be red. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Vapper, check:
Elephant ears and their wear pads
Transition Cone (always wear at seams)
Vanes in cone and above concave/grate area
Auger bed wood blocks
Shoe hanger bushings

At 3800 plus hours these items should have been serviced or replaced, if not they will be shot. Jeff

Forgot to ask, what year is it? We owned 3 1680's befor emoving up to 21's and a 2388. The 90 1/2's and later 1680's have the longer shoe/sieve, which was a big improvement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can increase the cleaning capacity of a short seive machine a lot with a fixed air foil chaffer of the type sold by dagelman/Harvest services. I use them on two 14 series machines in crops a varied as large field pea,to tiny flax seeds. Even in the heaviest crops,I find I only need/use 2/3 of the air foil chaffer seive on a short seive machine like a 1480.

Check the transition cone in the left upper pocket area. This is where they first wear/punch holes from rocks or other MOG getting into the combine.

If the hydro pump shaft/driver has 2500-3000 hrs on it,expect it to be ready to fail. You can reach up into the slot in the pto housing where the hydraulic pump belt comes out,and move the hydro pump shaft with a water pump pliars to check for excess wear if the splines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi1 Vapper, I've got a 1680, 92 long seive model. Have 4000 hours now, and do mainly wheat, beans and milo. I have replaced wooden augerbed blocks, elephant ear wear plates, cone vanes,some rotor bars, a couple of sets of shoe bushings and upgraded the arms, and put a new wobble box on 1010 head[dealer didnot set it up right when they rebearinged],feeder chain, and a few bearings but all in all nothing too major.I also have a 2388 and the old 16 will still put it to the 23 on most days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts