The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I complained about Gleaner chopper knives in a past thread. Getting ready for wheat, always have to flip knives or put in new one before wheat every year. This is the year for new. The rotation of chopper is clockwise in the picture. The knives have 300 acres of wheat an 1200 acres of beans on them. They were worn out long before I finished beans last year. Terrible quality is all you can say. I am going to try an hard surface a set some how.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don!! I have looked at their website a year or so ago in search of something better and did not see anything for Gleaner. I over looked it or maybe a new offering. I have an S88 but should be same knife.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see where Redekop has knives for a Gleaner but i have a set of Kondex coming. They really don't have an answer for how much longer they will last. We will find out.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I don't see where Redekop has knives for a Gleaner but i have a set of Kondex coming. They really don't have an answer for how much longer they will last. We will find out.
No personal experience but a friend put 8 in the middle of his Claas chopper last fall, they do appear to wear well, the theory seems solid.

How many knives in your Gleaner?
Do those knives turn the same speed as the rotor or is it separately driven?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don, we have 24 knives, our discharge area as well as the chopper is only about 18" wide, not measured it but its really narrow. Chopper is turning 3200 rpm give or take a 100. Can't remember exactly. That is part of the issue, we are shoving 40' of crop material through an approximately 18" wide hole an chopper is spinning 3200 rpm. Tip speed on knife is unreal. Its amazing it even works actually but it does really well. Even with everything working against to knife life span they should last longer than they do. You can order with out chopper and just have an impeller/paddle to just knock everything down the chute. I assume the impeller is still an option.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Tin Man, there is an updated chopper knife out that does wear "longer". 71485615 is the part number. And by longer I mean twice as long but they are much cheaper priced too. IIRC they used to be $45 a knife and are now around $18 a knife.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got the Kondex knives Friday. You can see the hard surface they put on, it's the little lines you see on the knife. I can see how this will help. I think I would like to see the hard surface cover the entire surface at the knife edge. I don't know anything about hard surfacing in this application an that may be wrong thing to do but I would rather have an edge that's.
1/8" think in lieu of a razor edge that would hold up to 1500 acres where the knife at a razor edge only last 300 or so acres before it's a 1/4" thick blunt edge.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
So I got the Kondex knives Friday. You can see the hard surface they put on, it's the little lines you see on the knife. I can see how this will help. I think I would like to see the hard surface cover the entire surface at the knife edge. I don't know anything about hard surfacing in this application an that may be wrong thing to do but I would rather have an edge that's.
1/8" think in lieu of a razor edge that would hold up to 1500 acres where the knife at a razor edge only last 300 or so acres before it's a 1/4" thick blunt edge.
That is certainly a high wear area.

Not sure hard surfacing is the same as this carbide treatment Kondex uses?

I think the staggered pattern is to create more sharp edges as wear occurs. SWAG.

I’ll be running Kondex this year.
Friend put 8 in the middle of his Claas Pro-chop last season, almost no visible wear compared with normal knives.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I agree the new Gleaner knives are much better than previous. The will actually chip from a right stone hit. Might not able to have much harder. Be interesting how the kondex will live. Thanks for info.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I agree the new Gleaner knives are much better than previous. The will actually chip from a right stone hit. Might not able to have much harder. Be interesting how the kondex will live. Thanks for info.
That appears to be the highest wear area in combine chopperdom, it will be the quickest to get results from!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These next few pictures are after cutting 1200 acres of beans so the knives have 400 acres of wheat and 1200 acres of beans. You can look at the pictures at the start of this thread and see how much the factory Gleaner knives wore after doing basically same number of acres. Hard to tell what they will look like after doing the same acreage next year but I plan to leave them like they are and run them again next year, obviously wheat next spring won't wear them any more, another 1200 acres or so of beans could get rough on them but if I do run them another full season I can say I have gotten double the life out of the knives and it would actually be more than double, run them 2 season in lieu of one but the stock knives were doing NO thing after a half season on them due to being worn blunt, these Kondex knives will still be doing a good job and be sharp well into the 2nd season before they may be blunt. Right now these knives are sharp as a razor.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the Redekop carbide. I am getting twice the life out of them compared to oem.
Snipe, Do you have any before and after pictures of the redekop knives and info on how many acres you have on a worn set?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As the untreated area between carbide ridges wears they actually get sharper and have many more sharp edges than a normal knife.
These Kondex knives exceed claims, well worth it.
Don, Kondex calls it the "Claw" for a reason I guess! I had a little issue in the chopper area last Friday and was digging around in there, with out gloves on you will look like you were playing catch with a hand full of razor blades, they are sharp. With the "claws/teeth" whatever you want to call them they have to be way more aggressive "pulling" material away from the rotor.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Don, Kondex calls it the "Claw" for a reason I guess!
Lol, I guess.
Funny thing is, the more they wear the more it’s going to look like a claw.
In the case of my Claas Prochop as the knives wear I likely will not need the stationery knives nor straw dam in the chopper, less power needed, yay!
Very clever design.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts