The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well that's what an engineer would call it ;)

Coming home from Yorkton in our FL120 /w MBE4000 pulling an empty B train at 95k/hr down highway 16… all of a sudden here a sudden and very loud BANG followed by clack clack clack.

Pull over to the side of the highway and shut er down…. get out, there's oil all over.

Open the hood, look at the block. Yup, I can see the other side of the road :roll eyes:

Wrist pin came loose from the piston… fell down, broke the connecting rod, that went through BOTH sides of the block, 4 holes, smashed the ECM housing, tore off the return line from the fuel pump, shredded numerous wires.

Shrapnel laying all over the highway for 200 yard/meters.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know the feeling. Two springs ago after my old tractor dropped a valve 3/4 ways done seeding I bought a 535Q from a local dealer that had just under 2600 hrs. Just got done seeding and was hooked on the pea roller and the same thing happened, picked up nearly a full 5 gallon pail of shrapnel off the road. It looked like I was trying to pave the grid road, even after 3 passes with the grader you could still see the oil spot. Long story short the dealer paid for half of the reman engine but because it destroyed the block there was no value for a core charge. Core charge on a Cummins is $11,000.00 so in the end it was a $48,000.00 bill split two ways. Had enough engines blow up in 2013 to last me a lifetime.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You shoulda lit a match and burnt the truck right there-

Probably better off too drop in a real motor like a Detroit or a Cummings-

Someone had a N14 on kijiji for 6000$

By the time you fix that truck- you probably could buy another and have more truck too boot

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Just talked to a guy with a 13 liter Volvo engine. Cannot get parts. Bought a used motor to get a front housing. So be careful
Are you sure about that? That is one of the most common if not the most common diesel engines produced worldwide. Probably got used parts because there are so many available.

Sorry to hear about the truck Christian.:(

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Must have been a bad day for trucking, I blew a seal on my egr valve today, went from 40lbs of boost clear down to two, wow, got her to the elevator and there was a line forever long with a truck in front of me with a dead foot pedal and one behind me with a dead starter getting a pull start. Beautiful day to be going no where

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I'll add my story:

Was pulling a loaded Super-B up a valley hill. Probably about 50-60km/hr with the pedal to the floor - 40+ lbs boost when a valve dropped. Loudest BANG I've ever heard. The truck rocked hard when the torque left. Smoke blowing up the stacks like crazy. Barely got onto the shoulder before gravity had me stopped. No block damage though! (N14 with 1,250,000km.) Tow truck/wrecker out of Brandon had a heck of a time getting me pulled from a dead stop on the hill!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Sorry to hear about the truck Christian, there is never a good time for a motor to "grenade". (My engineering term.) They usually run their best just before they fly apart. (Old NASCAR Phrase)

·
Registered
633 Posts
The engine is a 2009 with 490,000 km on it.
OH that's A BUGGER not even run in let alone up to its first service.

Seen a mates drag car drop a con rod and it punched through the sump and put a inch round hole in the cross member .IT also punched through the block on both sides . Worst thing was he won that heat by half a car but couldn't compete for the rest of the meet for obvious reasons

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
You shoulda lit a match and burnt the truck right there-

Probably better off too drop in a real motor like a Detroit or a Cummings-

Someone had a N14 on kijiji for 6000$

By the time you fix that truck- you probably could buy another and have more truck too boot
I'm sure he is happy this post rattled your chain. I didn't know "Cummings" made engines, never heard of them. A post full of great advice.:rolleyes:

Sorry about your truck Chris. I was driving a Massey 165 that through a rod thru both sides of the block and oil pan flange. Right in front of my feet at age 14, that got my attention!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I'm sure he takes his time and does some creative shopping he'll come up with something. With electronics these days I'm not sure I'd be too eager to switch brands.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.