The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9600 had more than 5000 sep hours when it left. Davedan here puts lots more hours on them than that. I never had any hydrostat problems, had to remove (move) the engine once for the rear crank seal. $2000 labor and $50 parts.

Everything is fixable, and there are a lot of aftermarket parts out there. If you can do the work yourself, it is a great combine. But I don't feel anyone can afford to pay dealer mechanic rates to fix machines more than a few years old.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Should I be worried about buying a higher houred 9600? I found one with 4400 eng. hrs and 3200 sep hrs. It's supposed to be in pretty good shape. I'm not worried about replacing a few augers, bearings, or rasp bars, but I'm wondering how long the engines and hydrostats last in these machines?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I could sell you a 1996 9500 with 3100/2500 hrs in excellent shape.

Go to firstchoiceautofinder.com ,click on farm equip. saskatchewan to see pictures

·
Registered
277 Posts
The hydro pumps are very common for going out at around 4000 hrs. If your lucky it may have been done on that machine already.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
We had a 1994 9600 with 5000 eng hours, never even touched the injectors. They are a fantastic engine reliability wise, but we also traded it off at 5000 eng hours so I don't know how it has been doing since. Look over the feederhouse very closely, it seemed like once they get beaten up you can throw all kinds of money at them but they are never as quiet or as smooth as a lower houred machine. But as far as the rest of the machine you can pretty much rebuilt them from the ground up for not huge amounts of money and then they seem to run at-least a season without major breakdowns.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
We used to run 4 of them back in the day, 2 did more than 5000 sep hours before they were sold. There were honestly no major issues, a few bearings and belts here and there but no engine/hydro/final drive issues at all and they did a lot of road work. Capacity wise they will get belted by modern combines now, but a 9600 can still can achieve a reasonable amount over a day. We have run JD combines for years and years and reliability wise the 9600's were the best for us.

·
Registered
144 Posts
All of you that said you had more than 5000 sep. hrs., did you have the big aftermarket grain bin extensions or just the regular ones that came from John Deere?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The amount of hours on a machine aren't as important as how the machine was cared for.

We run an '86 8820 Titan II and it has over 5000 hours on it. It is in far better condition then a 9600 we looked at with 3000 hours. The 9600 was obviously not cared for the way we care for our machines.

So i say you go and take a good look at a machine before you make the decision of yes or no.

mike​

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
We just had the standard bin size, so they weren't carrying excess weight but they did do plenty of roading. Eg, one of the ones that had 5100 engine hours had over 7000 engine hours.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The engine will last forever if it has been serviced properly over the years. One thing you might think about if it has 4000 to 5000 hrs. is the crankshaft balancer pulley. If it has never been changed, that would be the time to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts