The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the name or contact information for the aftermarket higher-speed unloading auger sprocket for the 2388 combines?

I cannot find the add in any of my magazines or in a Google search.

Just put new chains on this fall and don't want to spend $475 for the whole kit from CIH.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Com'on, suck it up butter cup. Quit being such a cheap bast..., help out mother case or get out ur welder and start gougin on it. Alright here's a trick i learned from an experienced combine butcher, slide ur idler sprocket all the way up so u can take some links out of ur chain. A shorter chain has to travel faster to cover the same distance as a longer chain and wala, faster unloading. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What! Apparently I missed this concept in physics. Chain length has nothing to do with speed. Now if you change a sprocket size you will have to change the chains length.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm trying to do this myself, can't decide how much bigger to go on the drive sprocket. Factory ratio is 1.72, 2588 is 1.53, don't see how this gets from 1.9 bu to 2.4 bu? My math says it needs to be something like 1.36 to get to 2.4 bu. The guy that sells the speed up sprocket is Steve Kaltenheuser 515-769-2461. He makes the large steel wheels for Magnum tractors for high clearance spraying. TORQUE

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have seen the real case kit. They go to heavier chains# and heavier gears. The bracket that holds the bearings is new and heavier also. They give you several new ball bearings that may be heavier to. They do not just change one gear and # of teeth. Yea the kit is expensive but you get allot of new heavier stuff.

Let us know if the cheap way works very long or you tear something up with all the extra torque in wet corn.
Then you may not be cheap... which I am... but what I try and avoid is being "stupid cheap".

·
Registered
632 Posts
LOL.
As did I.

Don

I'll bet Magnum has chrome pipe on his combine to give it more power too.

And maybe smaller diameter wheels so it'll go faster down the road also.

Another way to reduce unloading time would be to just close down the sieves 'til you're running more grain out the back end 'o the combine. That way you won't have to stop as often to unload.
Sorry. I'm just havin' a little fun here too. We can't always be serious here.
Lol!

But seriously a smaller sprocket could probably be added to the CIH unload augers just as they do on the Deeres. See if ya got a neighbor that's done it and check the # of teeth on the sprocket.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Are you talking about the Deeres with the HUR? I always wondered if that was possible. Have you got any experience with doing it to a Deere?
Yes we have. On a '01 9650STS. I'll explain on another thread sometime. But basically changing sprockets as I mentioned on this thread http://combineforums.proboards42.com/ind....lay&thread=8278 has worked for us. Just scroll down 'til you find what I've wrote about it. A lot of other people along with us have each bought that $100 sprocket change over and it's been successful. We also raised the auger covers to full-up position but did so gradually. Big improvement. I have some things to talk about with this "new to us machine". But that'll be later.

I'm not familiar with the CIH system but could something like this work for it also?

Btw awhile back someone had a link to a place in Neb. ? that sold sprockets & other drive train parts and also had formulas for figuring sprocket- to- chain speeds. I've missplaced that link but it may be helpful here. Anyone who has it please feel free to provide... since a few of us apparently have the "need for speed"

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got my hi speed sprocket on the 2144 the other day, WOW 250 bu just melts away, must be a 1/3 faster. Try one you will like it. TORQUE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts