The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
lets see them, your pictures have absolutely been amazing!! I have never been to the northwest, but maybe its time i head that direction. looks pretty and the farming is so different, be neat to see in person.
was in a trailer park once here ~5yrs ago and saw some guys playing with a 9510SH, would have loved to have stuck around to see that. I saw it bottomed out to one direction, it didn't look like it had as much leveling capacity as that 1470(?).

brad

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was my harvest ride for 5 years at SRS Ranches, and Steep's ride for 17 years before me.
We have a joke about a 1470 being a 403 on steroids...but they are really a 1460 that have
been tricked out. The 1460 separator's were shipped to Spokane where R.A. Hanson added
the subframes and all the rest of the leveling equipment. A 1470 ( and the 1670) will level to
a max of 48%, which translates to 25 degrees. Parallel linkage of the wheels keeps them
vertical at all times. This is the biggest difference betwwen this system and a Hillco leveler
which does not keep the tires vertical. The leveling is fully automatic, two speed with a manual
override. ( in the picture at the top of the page, the leveler has been switched to manual and
the machine has been "laid over"almost to the max) Two speed four wheel drive and fail safe
rear brakes , a different ladder and 23.1-26 rear tires complete the Hillside package.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A different angle showing the parallelogram linkage of the rear axle. Keeping the tires vertical
gives them a real good bite for better stability.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back in 03, this was Steep's ride....a 1670. Same story as the 1470.....based on the 1660.
Here he is cutting in the same "cove" as seen in 8010 in the Cove further down on this board.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little closer look.....always yummy wheat back in here. One of my favorite snaps of this
combine.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Different field....laying out one of the steepest spots on the ranch, the 1670 leads one of
the 14's.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Head shot of the 16......nearly maxed out on the leveling here. When the machine hits the
leveler limit, a red light comes on along side the leveler controls. So, our slang for steep
ground is " red light country"

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same spot. different year. One of the few harvest pictures that I did NOT take. I wanted to
get some shots of the 1670 in action on this slope...sorta hard to drive and shoot at the same
time. So, I handed my camera off to one of our drivers. " Hollywood" J. Wilson and told him
to make me look pretty. In the background, you can see Steep helping out the dealer doing
a little tune up on the new 8010. Notice that the leveler has not quite caught up in this frame
and the machine is leaning a little to the left.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The view looking the other way. Nice job Hollywood. The machine is near max on this slope.
Notice that the platform cables ( tilt the platform) are slightly out of adjustment here as the
platform is low on the uphill side, high on the downhill side. We have looked into a hydraulic
system to replace the cables, which would eliminate this problem and give us auto height
control. In the background, Mt Hood.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, while we are on the subject of background......three of my fav's with Mt Hood in the
background. One of the 1470's cutting spring barley over near Eightmile Creek & US 197.
This was a great morning to sneak in a few shots. Laying out a patch just above a steep
scab.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts