The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run 1680 to 2388 on steep hillsides? What are the results? I know Hillco puts out a leveler, but how is the sample or grain loss without the Hillco? Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Everything works well on the hill. We had a 99 2388 with Hillco 2000 leveler. The early series levelers like that did have a few flaws, one is feeding, the transition from the header to the paddle beater is to far. We re-sprocketed the platform auger to make it turn faster and seem to take care of it. The other issue is the front axle is to far back. We run a FULL weight kit and calcium in both rear tires, this is still not enough. If you are headed down a steep hill with a full bulk tank the slightest slow down will cause the a** end to raise up. It will stop when the header hits the ground or if there's enough momentum it will push the header cylinders to full stroke. I seen the rears tires 6' off the ground and stay there until enough grain ran out of the tank and it slowly sat down. This is remedied in later model levelers were they moved the axle forward.
As far as cleaning goes it works great. Their is a significant power loss so we turn any combine we put a leveler on up. They weight about 10k so dragging that around the hills takes power.
We also run level land 1688's on the hills. Works alright if you slow down and keep the unload auger down hill. This lets the natural rotation of the rotor throw the grain to the uphill side of the combine. We also run full sieve extensions to keep the grain in its spot. Other than that good luck and happy harvesting.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
How steep, jwheatley, good buddy???? Fairly level........

........somewhat steep.........

........or bring that extra change of BVD's
?????

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Of coarse, if it's really nasty.............

.........a combine with a REAL leveler.........

.........would be a good idea........

.........but then, I am biased.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!! I sure like those 1670's. I would say a little bit of everything. I grew up in Dayton and we have some BVD country too. Mostly somewhat steep though. Looking to possibly do some entry level custom cutting from there to north of Moses Lake. I just want to help folks out with a machine they'll take me serious with. Those darn hillco's are heavy and expensive. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
104 Posts
We farm just south of Pullman in the Colton area. We have been running hillside machines for years. I agree Hillco's are expensive and, with $5.50 wheat, hard to justify. We finally stepped back and estimated are "very steep" ground and there weren't enough acres there to justify buying levelers. So we are going to an 8010 with self leveling sieves and the hillside extensions. I know its hard for people to step away from levelers (our neighbors comments agree) but in our situation that was the way to go. If you are cutting with people that have that steep of ground they are going to have leveling combines. Anyways good luck and see you at Bluewood.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a question for you hillsiders, were there any hillside 9*00's or 9*10's made? Just wondering because I have never seen one before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts