The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pricing some weed wipers and weed sponges and they are rediculously expensive. The grass works weed wiper that is 20' is $8900 and a 20' kit from Smucker is $1000 and I'd still have to make a tool bar. So I got to thinking, I have an old 20' 3pt sprayer with tank. I went and bought two 10' "cattle rub socks" or what ever their called to keep flies off cattle's backs. I'm thinking of either zip tying the socks directly under the nozzles or splitting the sock like a hot dog bun and wrapping it around the nozzles and the length of the boom. I was also just going to use a 12 volt pump with 1/2" lines. What do you guys think is the best idea?

·
Banned
1,040 Posts
From what you've said I'd use a 12volt pump and 1/2 inch line as you can then put as many holes in it to get the sock evenly wet-I'm not sure that you'd get that with wrapping the nozzles and you'd only find out when you've got random streak marks down the field (which is on the road and the neighbours get to see every day...
)

I was of the same opinion on cost and decided to build one myself, I based mine off an older design so there was no rotating barrel that some of the newer versions have. - I don't work for the company where I built it anymore otherwise I'd post photos.

Essentially I built a rectangular frame out of angle iron and mounted pvc pipes in it approx 100mm (4in) apart and angled @ 60 degrees. The pipes were sealed at each end and had a row of small holes drilled down each pipe, an inlet hole on top, wrap in heavy felt, mount in the frame, plumb up and away we went- worked great!. I think I used an old drench drum (because it had the fitting for a tap valve) as my chem tank and powered it with a little 12volt pump.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I use a 1/2" PVC pipe with holes drilled in it, instead of spray nozzles, what size of drill bit (very small I'd imagine) do I use and what spacing between the holes? Sounds like a better and cheaper idea, than mine. You got my attention.

·
Banned
1,040 Posts
Aaah, actual numbers and details now you're stretching my memory...:D

It was very much a suck it and see (Or a "shed built special" :)), but yes a fairly small drill bit (1/16- 3/32 at a guess),-make sure that you clean the inside after drilling to remove anything that might block the orifices and I think about 2in apart. -Very very rusty guesses on the size and spacings!

What I was trying (and seemed) to achieve was small enough holes so I didn't lose all the chem out the first hole and close enough spacing that each hole could weep out and keep the felt wet. Because it was all plumbed with home/house irrigation supplies I also plumbed in a fuel filter to try and stop crud plugging the lines which was okay, but they would gum up. If you could use the existing filters on your spray tank that would be better.

If you're able to I'd just get some small sections, rig them up and play around with water to see if you need to make adjustments on spacing or drill size. As I found out (more by luck than good management) if you get your spacings right the chemical will siphon into the wands, steadily weep out and you'll only need to occasionally flick the pump on (as much for peace of mind as anything else).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If your goal is to piddle in your shop, carry on. But I would not tie the three pieces together. Run each hose separate so you can run 1, 2, or all 3.

If you really have a crop that needs wiped, buy a set of Speidel bars.

·
Banned
1,040 Posts
I had multiple wands and each was fed individually (each wand about a foot & 1/2 long so that they'd fit in the frame). Once they were wet, the siphoning out from the tank would keep them pretty wet and I'd flick the pump ~10-15 secs every 1/4hour or so to make sure they stayed damp/for peace of mind. i.e. your pump doesn't need to be very large at all.

In some of the early area I did (and found out the hard way)was if I kept the pump on the whole time the felt would get saturated and then start dripping roundup all across the ground :eek:- not good...

I think you could run long sections, but you want to make sure that the pipe fills at multiple points. Otherwise I suspect the holes closest to the inlet will weep all of the chem out and those further away will dry out.
Also remember that you want to design/angle your wand(s) to contact and wipe on as much of your target as possible otherwise you may end up just wasting your time -we found it very effective for taking out thistles in pasture though

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I have a kit ordered at the moment from Ballard seeds. Just mats but it does have an automatic controller on it to keep the mats wet. I am intending to mount it on a 12m universal beam and carry it with my M155 swather. I figure it should be good to control the height and the suspension on the tractor should smooth out the ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.