The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching all these protests and blockades and land claims swirling around the country, plus the UN trying to insert itself into Canada with this UNDRIP stuff, has me a little worried. This 1997 Supreme Court ruling on Aboriginal Title was the kick off it seems. Its just words...for now. BC enacted UNDRIP and proceeded to have its major projects blocked and Trudeau wants to adopt it for Canada.

I always wondered if farmers as decedents of the first pioneers had any recourse if this gets out of hand.

First of all, I found out the Dominion Lands Act 1872 predates most of the treaties. That's like the prairies Magna Carta. Home quarter and homestead protection was enshrined in that legislation. A farmer can designate any parcel of land 160 acres or less as homestead. My lawyer says it doesn't even have to be where you farm or currently live. Can even be a residential property in a city. That protection is conferred to your decedents so long as they live on the property even if they dont actually farm. Apparently no entity in Canada can touch that property, no bank, no lender, not even the govt. I assume a native land claim could be contested pretty easily as well. With the new trespass laws its about as close to American style property rights as anyone can get in Canada and farmers have access to more rights than the average Canadian. Quebec, NL and most of BC are on unseeded territory.

I guess we should thank the nations founders for setting this up. They were really trying to encourage settlement in the middle of the country. I guess they couldn't have known that it would be the lowest population area in the country but it seems the area with the most personal property rights. Looks like any big projects in the country, if there are any left, will have to cross farmer owned and privately titled lands.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Oh it didn't go well for Frank Meyers.
Apparently granted by King George III forever to the Meyers clan doesn't mean a thing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nothing in Canada is yours. If the government wants it they’ll take it. They will make your property illegal as in the case with guns , they’ll tax it so hard you won’t be able to afford to keep it, or they’ll just take it.

Take a look at the land claims map. Diversity is our strength after all.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
It's a little scary to think that the land we bought and paid for isn't really ours, it technically still belongs to the crown. It's pathetic that they will expropriate farmland in a heart beat where it will be out of the farmers hands forever and fight the farmer until he breaks to get it, yet won't stand up to anyone over running a pipeline through their territory or province where the land owners get the land back.

·
Registered
452 Posts
We are deluded if we think we actually "own" anything in our brief life. I am happy we are allowed to use it. Most aren't so lucky!

·
Registered
438 Posts
The biggest issue is if you actual legally own what is under your ground like mineral rights. Not many do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts