The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my 88C header set up to go on my TX68. Combine calls for AW-46 oil in the hydraulic system, and the header calls for Trans-Hydraulic.
the head draws oil from the combine, so they wont stay separate. Does anyone know if there is any reason not to run the aw-46 in the head?

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
You sure of oil sharing?
Combine runs reel fore/aft, lift and turning.
Header oil supply everything else my guess, no oil sharing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manual claims that then system draws oil from the reel return line to keep the head full of oil, and then excess is pushed back into the combine through a low pressure return i have to add. Previous owner did not have the return when he got it and it would get to much oil in it, and leak it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Never heard of that kind of set up.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I confirm that's the way that vintage of honeybee headers are. My cousin had a couple of them. They require a special return line plumbed to the combine's hydraulic reservoir. Had to plumb one in temporarily on our combine when we borrowed his header once. We actually forgot about this and didn't take long for oil to push out of the header reservoir and make a small mess. In this case I'd forget about what the manual says and put the same oil in the header reservoir as is in your combine reservoir, since they mix.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If I remember right everything on those headers is run by hydraulics. Still have a pto but it just drives a gearbox for a couple pumps. Thinking the combine connection is to take advantage of the oil cooler on the combine. Not too bad to run a line. The one ours came with had a 3/4" line with a 1/2" tee to tie into the reservoir.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, looking at the header it looks like the gearbox is lubricated with the hydraulic oil, i would think because of that i should use the trans hydraulic

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I also came to the conclusion they are compatible. Have a New Holland version of the HB which states NH AW-46 in the header if I remember the manual correctly. I have case hytran and did some internet searching that indicated they were compatible so put that in the header. If I remember I will grab a picture of the oil specified in the NH manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts