The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a custom harvest company and have been using John Deere 930 Rigid heads when cutting wheat. I like them, easy to maintain, and simple. I have see a few Honey Bee Headers and I am curious if they are worth the money. How is the maintenance on them, resale value, can you use them to cut soybeans? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

·
Registered
461 Posts
are you looking at the rigid drapers or the airflex?

I think jury maybe still out on the airflex, they have been tinkering with that thing for a while now......

the rigid headers though are great, really durable, easy to do maintenance on. might be able to cut soys with a 30' (we do lentils with ours), by the time you get to 36 its just too wide to follow the ground contours well, sometimes have to park our bigger combine in poorer pulse crops because we are leaveing too much under the cutter bar. the capacity increase in cereals with a draper over auger header will be pretty noticeable.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Compared to an auger header there is going to be more potential maintenance on any draper header. A few more bearings, etc. The airflex is mechanical drive, but the older headers, including the rigid headers, are hydraulically-driven, so there's a pump and oil reservoir on the feeder adapter. I forget all the reasons why it like that.

But in standing wheat, the draper should feed more evenly.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
I think jury maybe still out on the airflex, they have been tinkering with that thing for a while now......
If updates are done to Airflex it is really no concern provided some basic maintenance is performed. I think all older units got the updates. New units have some further refinements from what my 2016 model had. Nothing will cut as low as an Airflex, which is useful for soybeans. The regular header with no flex would probably be the best wheat header because it doesn't have the transition behind the knife.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I run a custom harvest company and have been using John Deere 930 Rigid heads when cutting wheat. I like them, easy to maintain, and simple. I have see a few Honey Bee Headers and I am curious if they are worth the money. How is the maintenance on them, resale value, can you use them to cut soybeans? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

I have an older 40ft Draper and the steel is too thin under the front. When cutting low it rubs on the ground and wears then cracks where the crossmembers attach. Ive had to plate mine up at every crossmember. Apart from that it goes pretty well. The reel is better than a Crary.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Using a dealers HB AF240 as a demo to finish out harvest. So far I'm not impressed compared to the FD-75. I didn't get to cut anything on the ground with it like I had hoped as my lentils are being swathed and baled.

Currently, cutting flax with it and finding that it is wrapping up really badly everywhere. The long transition feeds extremely poorly. The HoneyBee cast guards are just horrible so far. They don't have the back cutting edge or wear guard the MacDon guards have and it allows flax to work under the knife and hang up in the grove for the cutterbar. Adjustments for the reels and the header tilt are too fast going out, too slow going in(that may be an adjustment?). The little guage wheels are terrible in these muddy conditions. Driving through water cutting flax causes them to get wet and roll up with mud and build with straw and start to get huge. The larger MacDon ones don't have the same problem at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts